Void Linux discussion
From: Donald Allen <donald...@gmail.com>
To: voidlinux <void...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Network setup twice during void installation?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 06:25:15 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 8:38:29 AM UTC-4, Donald Allen wrote:

> Running void-installer, one of the early items is 'Network'. I dutifully
> set up the network (in the install I just did, I set up the ethernet
> interface with a static IP address). The next step in the install relates
> to where the installation files are coming from (I've forgotten the exact
> wording in the menu). When you select that, you have two options: local and
> network. If you select 'network' it asks you to set up the network again.
> As an experiment, as this point I set it up to use dhcp, to see if the
> second setup over-rode the first. It does, as evidenced by the system
> coming up post-install with an assigned IP address, rather than the static
> address I'd previously specified. What is going on here? On the face of it,
> asking twice for the network setup makes no sense and I have not yet found
> any documentation explaining what the installer thinks it's doing. Is there
> a sensible rationale for this or is it a bug?
>
> /Don Allen

Any idea when this will be fixed? It really is pretty bogus and I'm
surprised that it hasn't been addressed in the four months since I
originally posted this. I would think that asking the question "has the
network already been configured?" and skipping the request to set it up
again (and then, after collecting the information, failing -- a new
behavior since I last tried Void, which is even more annoying; this is like
calling your credit card company, being asked to type in the account number
and then when a human comes on the line, asks for your account number)
would not be difficult.

/Don Allen