Development discussion of WireGuard
From: Simon Rozman <simon@rozman.si>
To: Jan Petrischkeit <jan.petrischkeit@hochschule-stralsund.de>,
	"wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com" <wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com>
Subject: RE: wireguard-windows: Wireguard does not start a previously activated tunnel from time to time
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 17:23:32 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

> Event 7023, ServiceControlManager: The service "WireGuardTunnel$HOST-
> WG2" was terminated with the following error: The requested name is valid,
> but no data of the requested type was found.

The error message you are mentioning is WSANO_DATA 11004 which is related to DNS resolution problems. Which is kind of expected early in the boot process when the Dnscache service is starting and/or Dhcp service might not yet configured the DNS.

I presume changing the Endpoint= lines of peers to contain IPs rather than hostnames could solve your problem.

See if it helps.

If you can confirm it, maybe we can add some retry on WSANO_DATA in the wireguard-windows. (Personally, I would avoid adding hard dependency on Dnscache and Dhcp services. As there are situations where they can be disabled, preventing the WireGuard tunnel service startup then.)

Regards,
Simon