Development discussion of WireGuard
* Android client fails to auto start connection if using a DDNS address as endpoint
@ 2020-04-19 15:31 Dark Shadow
From: Dark Shadow @ 2020-04-19 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I set up Wireguard and had it working fine when manually starting the
connection.
After that I wanted to have it be always on so that it would auto
connect when turning the phone on but I found that it would say it was
connected but no data would transfer.
Manually turning it off and on again would fix the connection

If I change the server address to a IP address everything works
correctly and the connection just works after turning on the phone.

I assume this is a bug that can hopefully be fixed as I would prefer
to use the dyndns address in the settings.

* Re: Android client fails to auto start connection if using a DDNS address as endpoint
@ 2020-05-06 11:01 ` Harsh Shandilya
From: Harsh Shandilya @ 2020-05-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dark Shadow; +Cc: wireguard, Jason A. Donenfeld

On Apr 19 2020, at 9:01 pm, Dark Shadow <shadowofdarkness@gmail.com> wrote:

> I set up Wireguard and had it working fine when manually starting the
> connection.
> After that I wanted to have it be always on so that it would auto
> connect when turning the phone on but I found that it would say it was
> connected but no data would transfer.
> Manually turning it off and on again would fix the connection
>
> If I change the server address to a IP address everything works
> correctly and the connection just works after turning on the phone.
>
> I assume this is a bug that can hopefully be fixed as I would prefer
> to use the dyndns address in the settings.

Hm, that's pretty unexpected. Are you using the Go userspace backend or
the kernel module? The settings page will show that at the top if you're
unsure. I've Cc'ed Jason in case this is a problem lower down in the
stack.

* Re: Android client fails to auto start connection if using a DDNS address as endpoint
@ 2020-05-06 11:03   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-05-06 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Shandilya; +Cc: Dark Shadow, wireguard

Looks like we don't have any retry logic for DNS resolution for the
case in which there's temporarily no Internet:

https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-android/tree/tunnel/src/main/java/com/wireguard/config/InetEndpoint.java#n91

* Re: Android client fails to auto start connection if using a DDNS address as endpoint
@ 2020-05-06 11:17     ` Harsh Shandilya
From: Harsh Shandilya @ 2020-05-06 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Jason A. Donenfeld"
  Cc: Dark Shadow, "wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com"

On May 6 2020, at 4:33 pm, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Looks like we don't have any retry logic for DNS resolution for the
> case in which there's temporarily no Internet:
>
> https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-android/tree/tunnel/src/main/java/com/wireguard/config/InetEndpoint.java#n91

What do we want to do here, then? Deferring config resolution feels
suboptimal. Deferring tunnel restoration on boot until we have a
connection looks like a semi-reasonable solution.

* Re: Android client fails to auto start connection if using a DDNS address as endpoint
@ 2020-05-06 11:18 ` Laszlo KERTESZ
From: Laszlo KERTESZ @ 2020-05-06 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I too have this issue. My ISP does not provide a fixed IP address and
if the address changes, the Android client does not reconnect. Not
very user friendly as it is hard to do external checks and restart on
mobile.
Also this is true for the desktop version of wireguard, at least on
Linux with both ifupdown and systemd-networkd (i could script a check
and restart easily though).