Development discussion of WireGuard
From: Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com>
To: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: SSH stuck
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 10:10:13 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, 10 May 2017 08:31:12 +0100
Jonathon Fernyhough <jonathon.fernyhough@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Jean-Yves,

Hi Jo,

> On 09/05/17 23:32, Bzzzz wrote:
> > 1- I solved the LAN being unreachable apart the endpoint and the
> > internet being completely unreachable with an iptables rule:
> >    iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 10.11.12.0/24 -o eth0 -j
> > MASQUERADE is this right? (if not, why?)
>=20
> I don't think this is Wireguard specific. That rule essentially allows
> that machine to act as a NAT gateway, the same as for e.g. an OpenVPN
> server.

Fine, in fact I was using this for OpenVPN
but WG is much faster.

> > 2- When I want to ssh any LAN machine, wireshark only sees 4 packets:
> > 	client announce
> > 	server ACK
> > 	client key negociation
> > 	server key negociation
> >    and that's all.
> >    Is it a limitation (non-TCP packets) or is there another reason
> > for ssh not working as expected? (connecting to any machine http srv
> > works perfectly)
>=20
> SSH over a Wireguard interface works as expected for me. You might have
> some luck seeing what's going on with `ssh -v` (and increasing the
> verbosity with further `v`s, e.g. `ssh -vvvv`).

No, I even tried 'ssh -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv' just in case, but I do not
see anything special; last lines before being stuck 30" and closed by
server, are:
=E2=80=A6
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0=20
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0=20
debug2: mac_setup: setup umac-64-etm@openssh.com
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr umac-64-etm@openssh.com none
debug2: mac_setup: setup umac-64-etm@openssh.com
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr umac-64-etm@openssh.com none
debug1: sending SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_INIT
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY
Connection closed by 192.168.1.50

I use publickey ssh only.

A LAN ssh (working, of course) continues:

debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0=20
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0=20
debug2: mac_setup: setup umac-64-etm@openssh.com
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr umac-64-etm@openssh.com none
debug2: mac_setup: setup umac-64-etm@openssh.com
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr umac-64-etm@openssh.com none
debug1: sending SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_INIT
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY
debug1: Server host key: RSA <redacted>
debug3: load_hostkeys: loading entries for host "mybigserver" from file "/r=
oot/.ssh/known_hosts"
debug3: load_hostkeys: found key type RSA in file /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug3: load_hostkeys: loaded 1 keys
debug3: load_hostkeys: loading entries for host "192.168.1.50" from file "/=
root/.ssh/known_hosts"
debug3: load_hostkeys: found key type RSA in file /root/.ssh/known_hosts:2
debug3: load_hostkeys: loaded 1 keys
debug1: Host 'mybigserver' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
=E2=80=A6

I double-checked the the only difference between a LAN ssh and a VPN
ssh is the VPN one stucks just after the "expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY"
line without an obvious reason :/
Note that it is also the case with any other LAN machine when the VPN
is in use.

Don't worry if I don't answer, I'm out for sleep a few hours.

Thanks & regards,

Jean-Yves