On 11-02-18, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote: > Hi Baptiste-- > > On Sun 2018-02-11 14:48:37 +0100, Baptiste Jonglez wrote: > > > On a x86_64 VM with quite a lot of Wireguard traffic (~300 GB per day), I > > am seeing a memory leak with wireguard 0.0.20171221-5. System is Debian > > stretch, kernel 4.9.65-3+deb9u2, wireguard package from unstable. > > oof, thanks for this report, and for the really useful graph > visualization. > > it's troubling that the changes correlated with the memleak are both a > kernel upgrade *and* a wireguard upgrade, since that kind of conflation > might be difficult to tease apart. Yes, I *think* it's related to wireguard and not the kernel upgrade (since far more people use the kernel than wireguard), but I'm not 100% sure. And indeed, we could imagine it to be an issue in wireguard related to the newer kernel... > i'm curious from the graph -- do you know what happened at the start of > week 6 where there's a sawtooth? Actually, the amount of "slab_cache" didn't change at that point, it's just the amount of application memory that dropped a bit. I looked at the logs, some userspace processes were being killed by the OOM-killer. > If you still see a leak with the latest wireguard, i'd appreciate if you > could test the current kernel with 0.0.20171011-1 to see whether you can > isolate the problem to the kernel. i'm not recommending running > 0.0.20171011-1 for the long term, but it should still be wire-format > compatible with other implementations and will help with debugging to > have the comparison. Excellent suggestion! It does look like 0.0.20180202-1 still has the memleak. I will leave it running a few more days to be certain, and then switch to 0.0.20171011-1. Baptiste