On 12-02-18, Baptiste Jonglez wrote: > Hi Jason, > > On 12-02-18, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > > Secondly, I'm wondering if you tend to do, "anything strange". For > > example -- are you setting up and taking down the device often in an > > automated way? Or reconfiguring the interface (via wg(8), for example) > > often in an automated way? Or is the sustained day-in-day-out workload > > that leads to this graph simply forwarding and encrypting/decrypting > > packets as usual? If it's the latter, does this device tend to encrypt > > or decrypt more, or both equally? > > It's the latter "day-in-day-out" option: the system has a single wireguard > interface, which is configured once at boot-time, and then used > extensively to forward traffic. It tends to encrypt more than it > decrypts. Actually, now that I talk about it, it's not 100% true: on this system, there is a second wireguard interface that is not currently used (it's provisionned to connect a future router that is not yet deployed). The interesting part: this interface has a single peer which has no endpoint but a persistent keepalive. It looks like this: interface: wg-router2 public key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX private key: (hidden) listening port: 56008 peer: YYYYYYYYYYY allowed ips: 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0 persistent keepalive: every 25 seconds Maybe wireguard allocates something to send the persistent keepalive, then bails out because we don't know the endpoint of the peer? I have taken this second interface down, but it has not released any memory. I am now leaving it up without the persistent keepalive, just in case something interesting happens. Baptiste