Development discussion of WireGuard
* wireguard slow pings
@ 2020-02-16 12:58 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2020-02-16 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I'm testing wireguard
wireguard-0.0.20191219-2.fc31.x86_64
between a Fedora 31 client and server, comparing to openvpn.

Openvpn is running between a linux client outside my lan and a server on my
router, which is running dd-wrt.
I'm pinging between that linux client and another linux client within my
lan.

wireguard is running between the same linux client outside my lan and the
same other linux client within my lan.  This
time router is simply forwarding packets via NAT.

Openvpn ping times are much lower (about 10ms) and much lower variance than
wireguard.  Wireguard pings
are all over the place.

Packets coming in from the WAN are traversing some firewall that I don't
control, which may be affecting results.  Openvpn
is config to use udp.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neal

--
*Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it*

* Re: wireguard slow pings
@ 2020-02-16 19:21 ` Barry Scott
From: Barry Scott @ 2020-02-16 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: wireguard

> On 16 Feb 2020, at 12:58, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm testing wireguard
> wireguard-0.0.20191219-2.fc31.x86_64
> between a Fedora 31 client and server, comparing to openvpn.
>
> Openvpn is running between a linux client outside my lan and a server on my router, which is running dd-wrt.
> I'm pinging between that linux client and another linux client within my lan.
>
> wireguard is running between the same linux client outside my lan and the same other linux client within my lan.  This
> time router is simply forwarding packets via NAT.
>
> Openvpn ping times are much lower (about 10ms) and much lower variance than wireguard.  Wireguard pings
> are all over the place.
>
> Packets coming in from the WAN are traversing some firewall that I don't control, which may be affecting results.  Openvpn
> is config to use udp.
>
> Any ideas?

I can think of two ways to investigate this.

Use tcpdump on the router to see the timing of the packets on the wg0 device.
How quickly do you see the ICMP echo get answered?

Use traceroute from the outside to find the ping times of all the hops on the path.
Is there a significant difference between the ping time on the edge of the router
and the wg0 device ping time?

Barry

@ 2020-02-23 14:52 ` Roman Mamedov
From: Roman Mamedov @ 2020-02-23 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: wireguard

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 07:58:48 -0500
Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm testing wireguard
> wireguard-0.0.20191219-2.fc31.x86_64
> between a Fedora 31 client and server, comparing to openvpn.
>
> Openvpn is running between a linux client outside my lan and a server on my
> router, which is running dd-wrt.
> I'm pinging between that linux client and another linux client within my
> lan.
>
> wireguard is running between the same linux client outside my lan and the
> same other linux client within my lan.  This
> time router is simply forwarding packets via NAT.
>
> Openvpn ping times are much lower (about 10ms) and much lower variance than
> wireguard.  Wireguard pings
> are all over the place.
>
> Packets coming in from the WAN are traversing some firewall that I don't
> control, which may be affecting results.  Openvpn
> is config to use udp.
>
> Any ideas?

Did you try using the same port for WG, as you use for OpenVPN (of course
stopping OpenVPN for a while to try that)?

It is possible that ISPs employ different priorities for particular UDP port
ranges;

Or they might do load-balancing across multiple links by src/dst/port/protocol,
and your WG's combination of that randomly happens to go via some unlucky
overloaded one.

--
With respect,
Roman