Development discussion of WireGuard
From: Roman Mamedov <rm@romanrm.net>
To: ajs124 <wireguard@ajs124.de>
Cc: <mike@pmfarmwald.com>, <wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com>
Subject: Re: Is there a way to use wireguard as a non-encrypted VPN?
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 20:16:48 +0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 17:02:41 +0200
ajs124 <wireguard@ajs124.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 12:13:36 -0700
> <mike@pmfarmwald.com> wrote:
>
> > I have some older routers that run OpenWRT just fine, but are a bit slow at
> > Wireguard (3-5 MBytes/s for SMB transfers) and which are too slow for
> > playing HD movies.
> > For these routers/uses I don't care about security, I just want a VPN to
> > tunnel (thru Comcast, and other ISPs that block lots of ports.)
> > If there was a way to use Wiireguard with encryption disabled, I'm pretty
> > sure my performance would be closer to 20-50 MB/s which would be more than
> > adequate.
> > Thanks.
> > Mike Farmwald
> >

> If you're actually just looking for an unencrypted tunnel, there is some standardized stuff like GRE[1] or IP in IP[2] out there.
>
> The Linux Kernel supports both of those natively and it looks to me like OpenWRT should be able to configure at least one of them through its interface.
>
> 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Routing_Encapsulation
> 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_in_IP

Those both require dedicated IP on both ends of the connection, which is not
always the case on residential ISPs' IPv4 now.

I'd suggest to check out L2TP instead, which doesn't, and can be used without
encryption too, that one can work.

Or PPTP as mentioned, but it's more complex (separate signaling and data
protocols) for no good reason and has more issues traversing NATs/firewalls.

--
With respect,
Roman