Development discussion of WireGuard
* Interest in adding multicast support to Wireguard?
@ 2020-09-21  7:13 Derrick Lyndon Pallas
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Derrick Lyndon Pallas @ 2020-09-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know this has come up a few times before, but if there was resolution,
I couldn't find it.

I am trying to set up a hub-and-spoke network with many clients
connected to a single concentrator. One application I need to support
relies on mDNS. Because Wireguard does not allow overlapping ranges (for
understandable reasons), this works on point-to-point links with two
peers but not on hub-and-spoke or other multi-peer setups. This would be
possible if every peer had its own hub interface, but that seems like an
inelegant, error-prone workaround.

Some have suggested running vxlan or another encapsulation method on top
of Wireguard, but that's not possible in this situation because I do not
control the software running on the peers. Typically, they'll just be
running the official Wireguard apps for MacOS or Windows.

Hacking Wireguard to understand the multicast range and to
clone-and-forward this traffic to all peers does work. If there is wider
interest in that specific feature, I'm happy to work what I have into
something that could be upstreamed. Currently the range is global and
hard-coded, but I could imagine wanting fine-grained control over which
peers were interested in specific multicast addresses, e.g., for a
user-space daemon managing IGMP subscriptions. However, before I spent
time on any of the above, I wanted to gauge whether there was interest
and whether that kind of feature might be accepted at all.

Thanks, ~Derrick