Development discussion of WireGuard
From: Panagiotis Kalogiratos <nodens@abnormalfreq.com>
To: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: Should we sunset Windows 7 support?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 23:56:20 +0200	[thread overview]

It's not really a matter of cost of updating. Windows 10 *STILL*
activates using
Win7, 8 and 8.1 keys (including OEM licenses implemented via SLIC in
BIOS/UEFI
by using the COA key on the sticker or directly upgrading an activated
Win7 installation).
The update is actually free.

Stubborn users of Windows 7, fall down to two main categories:
a) Those who are afraid of the telemetry in Win10, which they think it's
spying onto them.
b) Those who can't stand the "Metro" aka "Modern" interface and have not
discovered
Open-Shell (the FOSS continuation of Classic Shell).

That's always excluding the enterprise where there are other factors
involved regarding
TCO, training employees, etc etc.

Frankly, the internals of 10 are such an upgrade from 7 that it's about
time people let
7 die in peace. We should not encourage the use of antiquated tech, when
there's
actually no cost factor involved and it's being done only because of
stubbornness
(and sometimes misinformation).

Since 7 has been effectively EOL'd, let's stop wasting resources on it.
People can upgrade for free. If they're so fixed onto their obsession
with 7 and wish
to keep using an EOL'd OS with no security updates, they can also live
using old
versions of wireguard or another solution. Although I believe most
developers will
drop support as well. I know I will for all applications I'm working on
that I have a say
in doing so or not. I have no intention of supporting deprecated OS
versions. It's
literally a waste of resources.
Soon it will be impossible to find drivers for any new hardware for it.
It's dead. Let's
just accept that and move on.

Panagiotis