Development discussion of WireGuard
* RE: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-04-21  9:09 Ricardo Fraile
From: Ricardo Fraile @ 2020-04-21  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simon, virtualdxs, wireguard

Hi,

I tried to solve a similar issue on Linux a few months ago but sadly it
wasn't merged to wg-quick:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com/msg04530.html

In my particular opinion, I think that this option is mandatory at the
same level as DNS servers.

Regards,

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-05-11  6:25 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-05-11  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Your wish is my command:

https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2020-May/005415.html

DNS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4,mycorp.net

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-05-11  8:56   ` Ricardo Fraile
From: Ricardo Fraile @ 2020-05-11  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perfect, that solves the domain setting workaround. Thanks Jason!

El 2020-05-11 08:25, Jason A. Donenfeld escribió:
> Your wish is my command:
>
> https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2020-May/005415.html
>
> DNS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4,mycorp.net

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-05-11  9:55   ` Shawn Hoffman
From: Shawn Hoffman @ 2020-05-11  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld

On windows, currently the following has to be done manually / outside
of wg flow:

PS> Set-DnsClient -InterfaceAlias name -ConnectionSpecificSuffix "name.com"

It works fine (although the lack of PostUp, etc is annoying) , but
would be nicer if it could be easily configured the same way.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:26 PM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Your wish is my command:
>
> https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2020-May/005415.html
>
> DNS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4,mycorp.net

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-05-11 21:16   ` Phillip McMahon
From: Phillip McMahon @ 2020-05-11 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld

Wireguard site is showing fedora wireguard-tools as up to date. It has
not been released yet, still marked as pending testing

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?packages=wireguard-tools

--
Use this contact page to send me encrypted messages and files

https://flowcrypt.com/me/phillipmcmahon

P.S. Drowning in email? Try SaneBox and take back control:
http://sanebox.com/t/old3m. I love it.

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-05-11 21:23     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-05-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip McMahon

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 3:17 PM Phillip McMahon
<phillip.mcmahon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wireguard site is showing fedora wireguard-tools as up to date. It has
> not been released yet, still marked as pending testing
>
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?packages=wireguard-tools

Fine by me. This means there is no further action for Joe, the Fedora
maintainer, to take on this matter.

From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-05-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Hoffman

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 3:55 AM Shawn Hoffman <godisgovernment@gmail.com> wrote:

> On windows, currently the following has to be done manually / outside
> of wg flow:
>
> PS> Set-DnsClient -InterfaceAlias name -ConnectionSpecificSuffix "name.com"
>
> It works fine (although the lack of PostUp, etc is annoying) , but
> would be nicer if it could be easily configured the same way.

This is why I wrote in the release notes, "This new feature will be
rolling out across our various GUI clients in the next week or so."

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-05-11 21:30       ` Phillip McMahon
From: Phillip McMahon @ 2020-05-11 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld

Could be a little confusing as the wg site suggests if you install
wireguard-tools you'll get v1.0.20200510, which is not the case right
now.

Shouldn't the released stable package be referenced?

@ 2020-05-11 21:32         ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-05-11 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip McMahon

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 3:31 PM Phillip McMahon
<phillip.mcmahon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could be a little confusing as the wg site suggests if you install
> wireguard-tools you'll get v1.0.20200510, which is not the case right
> now.
>
> Shouldn't the released stable package be referenced?

No, because then people will harass the package maintainer after he is
no longer able to do anything about it, no matter the text or tristate
proposal.

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-06-16 19:46       ` Anatoli
From: Anatoli @ 2020-06-16 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi All,

> This is why I wrote in the release notes, "This new feature will be
> rolling out across our various GUI clients in the next week or so."

Does that also include the iOS client? More than a month has passed and
I know AppStore sometimes introduces a significant delay, so just wanted
to confirm if this is the case or the iOS client won't get this feature
soon?

Regards,
Anatoli

@ 2020-06-16 20:11         ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-06-16 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 1:48 PM Anatoli <me@anatoli.ws> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> > This is why I wrote in the release notes, "This new feature will be
> > rolling out across our various GUI clients in the next week or so."
>
> Does that also include the iOS client? More than a month has passed and
> I know AppStore sometimes introduces a significant delay, so just wanted
> to confirm if this is the case or the iOS client won't get this feature
> soon?

iOS/macOS will get the feature.

* Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
@ 2020-04-06  6:12 ` Simon Rozman
From: Simon Rozman @ 2020-04-06  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan X Simpson, wireguard

I have a similar requirement - to set connection specific DNS suffix. I solved it by extending the wireguard-windows: https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-windows/commit/?h=sr/mydist&id=3672fbc0bcb1821c98566fac32ba0638d4d4c611

However, I do not plan to ask zx2c4 to merge it upstream, as he has better idea to provide PostUpExec feature which would allow universal mean for any extra system configuration required. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, just a suggestion (haven't tested it thou)... Add a task to Task Scheduler to fire every couple of minutes doing:

reg.exe add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID of your WG adapter*> /v Domain /t REG_SZ /d contoso.local

This should setup the connection specific DNS suffix soon after the tunnel is established and keep it set. But its nuts and doesn't scale. The PostUpExec will be the right approach.

Regards, Simon

* On Windows 10 the WG adapter GUID is pseudo-random based on your WG config. As long as your config is static, it won't change. Once WG connected, look it up in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces.