Development discussion of WireGuard
From: Simon Rozman <simon@rozman.si>
To: Duncan X Simpson <virtualdxs@gmail.com>,
	"wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com" <wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com>
Subject: Re: Search Domain/DNS Suffix
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 06:12:54 +0000	[thread overview]

I have a similar requirement - to set connection specific DNS suffix. I solved it by extending the wireguard-windows: https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-windows/commit/?h=sr/mydist&id=3672fbc0bcb1821c98566fac32ba0638d4d4c611

However, I do not plan to ask zx2c4 to merge it upstream, as he has better idea to provide PostUpExec feature which would allow universal mean for any extra system configuration required. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, just a suggestion (haven't tested it thou)... Add a task to Task Scheduler to fire every couple of minutes doing:

reg.exe add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID of your WG adapter*> /v Domain /t REG_SZ /d contoso.local

This should setup the connection specific DNS suffix soon after the tunnel is established and keep it set. But its nuts and doesn't scale. The PostUpExec will be the right approach.

Regards, Simon

* On Windows 10 the WG adapter GUID is pseudo-random based on your WG config. As long as your config is static, it won't change. Once WG connected, look it up in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces.