Development discussion of WireGuard
* dynamic peer configuration over socket?
@ 2021-03-16 21:28 Christian Schmitt
From: Christian Schmitt @ 2021-03-16 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello,

currently I'm toying a little bit with wireguard and found the
configuration really really simple.

at the moment I'm using openvpn and want to replace it. with openvpn we
dynamically add peers by using the management api.

we have a watcher program that listens the management sockets and
watches until openvpn sends us something like
(https://openvpn.net/community-resources/management-interface/
--management-client-auth):

 > MGMT: connect client:

we than need to respond with either client-kill or client-auth
(asynchronously).

this is extremly helpful because it means we can have a database where
all our peer configuration is held and openvpn asks if the client allowed.

I could not find something like that with wireguard, the only way I
would find, if our service would poll for new configuration and apply it
if wireguard does not know the peer, but this is error prone and does
not work in my ha topology that well. is there something planned to make
that happen? it's btw. also painful to manage such a big config with
hundreds of client peers.

Best Regards

  Christian

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-03-17  3:24 UTC | newest]