Development discussion of WireGuard
From: Vasili Pupkin <diggest@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: potentially disallowing IP fragmentation on wg packets, and handling routing loops better
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:39:21 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi,

I've dig into the subject two years ago and only vague remember details.
As far as I can recall there was a time when WireGuard set DF flag by
default and there were two issues:

1) for security reasons WireGuard doesn't issue ICMP fragmentation
required response in the unencrypted channel if an encrypted packed
didn't fit and was dropped
2) there is no way client can tell the server of MTU limitation it has
on its side

Combining the two we have a situation in a chained wireguard VPN setup
when MTU size is misconfigured on the server and the remote host
wouldn't get any icmp to help with its PMTUD algorithm. The client can
still set MSS in its TCP connection though.

Again sorry if I missed or messed something, it was long ago and I don't
remember details.