Development discussion of WireGuard
* Wireguard sending keepalives even if keepalives disabled
@ 2020-08-04 13:28 scorba69
From: scorba69 @ 2020-08-04 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello,

sorry if this is not a bug and also sorry if I am not using mailing lists in the right way (I was not sure where to ask)...

I have a little problem with wireguard. I have 2 devices:
1) Debian Linux server with Wireguard service
2) Android phone with Wireguard app
They are both on the same local network (no subnets, no NAT etc.)

Everything works fine, but I have noticed that keepalive packets are being sent between the two devices on regular basis, even if PersistentKeepalive is not set.
They are sent like every few minutes, sometimes twice in a row. The behavior does not change even if I set PersistentKeepalive on both devices to e.g. 3600 seconds (1 hour).
It seems, that the communication is little bit chatty. I have also noticed that every few minutes a handshake also happens.

The reason I am talking about this is that this is causing unnecessary traffic and therefore increased battery consumption of the Android phone.
For example on my phone, battery usually drops by 3% over night, but with wireguard turned on it drops by 10%.

I know that wireguard is still in development, I would just like to see some information regarding this topic.

More information (including log from android app) can be found on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/hm4h88/wireguard_battery_drain_on_android_phone/

Thanks a lot for any reply
Tom

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-08-06 14:17 UTC | newest]