Development discussion of WireGuard
* WireGuard for macOS
@ 2020-03-07 17:03 tormen
From: tormen @ 2020-03-07 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Dear Wireguard Team,

First off, thanks a lot for the client for macOS !!

Is there a possibility to issue a "Connect" / "Disconnect" command from the command line
instead of using the buttons in the GUI ?

I would love to use both (GUI + CLI): No automatic connect in the GUI, but rather automatically connect / reconnect via script (so via command-line interface, CLI).
And I don't like the idea of not using the GUI and switching to the cli version as then I don't have the icon.

Thanks a lot in advance for any hint or feedback!

Tormen

* Re: WireGuard for macOS
@ 2020-03-08  2:37 ` Ben Hyde
From: Ben Hyde @ 2020-03-08  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tormen; +Cc: wireguard

Tormen -

Try: sudo scutil --nc list

If you see the wireguard setup in the list then you can then
read the man page for scutil to see assorted —nc subcommands;
including ones to start and stop it.

I do not understand why some of my wireguard tunnels do not
appear in scutil’s list.  But yeah, it’s all magic!

  - ben

On 7 Mar 2020, at 12:03, tormen@mail.ch wrote:

> Dear Wireguard Team,
>
> First off, thanks a lot for the client for macOS !!
>
> Is there a possibility to issue a "Connect" / "Disconnect" command
> from the command line
> instead of using the buttons in the GUI ?
>
> I would love to use both (GUI + CLI): No automatic connect in the GUI,
> but rather automatically connect / reconnect via script (so via
> command-line interface, CLI).
> And I don't like the idea of not using the GUI and switching to the
> cli version as then I don't have the icon.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any hint or feedback!
>
> Tormen

* Re: WireGuard for macOS
@ 2020-03-08  4:18 ` Eiji Tanioka
From: Eiji Tanioka @ 2020-03-08  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tormen; +Cc: wireguard

Hi,

How about install wireguard-tools from Homebrew ?
https://www.wireguard.com/install/#macos-homebrew-and-macports-basic-cli-homebrew-userspace-go-homebrew-tools-macports-userspace-go-macports-tools

I have not installed, it seems installing `wg`, `wg-quick` command and
"wireguard-go" backend.
I think you can use them for Connect / Disconnect from CLI.

And,
> I would love to use both (GUI + CLI): No automatic connect in the GUI,
I'm using "On-Demand" option for automatic connect, is it appropriate
for your purpose?

Regards,

2020年3月8日(日) 10:01 <tormen@mail.ch>:

> Dear Wireguard Team,
>
> First off, thanks a lot for the client for macOS !!
>
> Is there a possibility to issue a "Connect" / "Disconnect" command from the command line
> instead of using the buttons in the GUI ?
>
> I would love to use both (GUI + CLI): No automatic connect in the GUI, but rather automatically connect / reconnect via script (so via command-line interface, CLI).
> And I don't like the idea of not using the GUI and switching to the cli version as then I don't have the icon.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any hint or feedback!
>
> Tormen

* Re: WireGuard for macOS
@ 2020-03-21 21:45   ` Johnny Utahh
From: Johnny Utahh @ 2020-03-21 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard; +Cc: Eiji Tanioka, tormen

The macOS wireguard-tools command line does not seem to work
concurrently with the GUI app, at least on my system:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/fmn93h/how_to_display_or_manage_macos_wireguard_status

Anybody know why?

On 2020-03-07 10:18 PM, Eiji Tanioka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How about install wireguard-tools from Homebrew ?
> https://www.wireguard.com/install/#macos-homebrew-and-macports-basic-cli-homebrew-userspace-go-homebrew-tools-macports-userspace-go-macports-tools
>
> I have not installed, it seems installing `wg`, `wg-quick` command and
> "wireguard-go" backend.
> I think you can use them for Connect / Disconnect from CLI.
>
> And,
>> I would love to use both (GUI + CLI): No automatic connect in the GUI,
> I'm using "On-Demand" option for automatic connect, is it appropriate
> for your purpose?
>
> Regards,
>
> 2020年3月8日(日) 10:01 <tormen@mail.ch>:
>> Dear Wireguard Team,
>>
>> First off, thanks a lot for the client for macOS !!
>>
>> Is there a possibility to issue a "Connect" / "Disconnect" command from the command line
>> instead of using the buttons in the GUI ?
>>
>> I would love to use both (GUI + CLI): No automatic connect in the GUI, but rather automatically connect / reconnect via script (so via command-line interface, CLI).
>> And I don't like the idea of not using the GUI and switching to the cli version as then I don't have the icon.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance for any hint or feedback!
>>
>> Tormen

* Re: WireGuard for macOS (cmdline vs GUI)
@ 2020-03-22  3:49     ` Johnny Utahh
From: Johnny Utahh @ 2020-03-22  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard; +Cc: Eiji Tanioka, tormen

I wrote:
> The macOS wireguard-tools command line does not seem to work
> concurrently with the GUI app

...because it's not supposed to. (sigh)  Simple updates to
https://www.wireguard.com/install/ along with a short note for macOS
`launchctl` (or similar gizmo for auto bootup) will help make things
more clear. Details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/fmn93h/how_to_display_or_manage_macos_wireguard_status/fl5xscg/?context=8&depth=9

~J

@ 2020-03-22 11:31       ` tormen
From: tormen @ 2020-03-22 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny Utahh; +Cc: wireguard, Eiji Tanioka

FYI: Thanks a lot for your answers to my initial question!

I did not know the ncutil command yet :)
It works like charm and allows for nice "remote" control of the GUI app via cmdline.

Tormen

> On 22. Mar 2020, at 04:49, Johnny Utahh <mailman-wireguard.com@johnnyutahh.com> wrote:
>
> I wrote:
>> The macOS wireguard-tools command line does not seem to work concurrently with the GUI app
>
> ...because it's not supposed to. (sigh)  Simple updates to https://www.wireguard.com/install/ along with a short note for macOS `launchctl` (or similar gizmo for auto bootup) will help make things more clear. Details:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/fmn93h/how_to_display_or_manage_macos_wireguard_status/fl5xscg/?context=8&depth=9
>
> ~J
>

> On 2020-03-21 4:45 PM, Johnny Utahh wrote:
>> The macOS wireguard-tools command line does not seem to work concurrently with the GUI app, at least on my system:
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/fmn93h/how_to_display_or_manage_macos_wireguard_status
>>
>> Anybody know why?
>>

>> On 2020-03-07 10:18 PM, Eiji Tanioka wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How about install wireguard-tools from Homebrew ?
>>> https://www.wireguard.com/install/#macos-homebrew-and-macports-basic-cli-homebrew-userspace-go-homebrew-tools-macports-userspace-go-macports-tools
>>>
>>> I have not installed, it seems installing `wg`, `wg-quick` command and
>>> "wireguard-go" backend.
>>> I think you can use them for Connect / Disconnect from CLI.
>>>
>>> And,
>>> I'm using "On-Demand" option for automatic connect, is it appropriate
>>> for your purpose?
>>>
>>> Regards,

* Re: WireGuard for macOS
@ 2020-03-30  2:22     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-03-30  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 8:21 PM Johnny Utahh
<mailman-wireguard.com@johnnyutahh.com> wrote:

> The macOS wireguard-tools command line does not seem to work
> concurrently with the GUI app, at least on my system

They're separate implementations, and we can't link them due to macOS
sandboxing.