Development discussion of WireGuard
From: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@toke.dk>
To: Derrick Lyndon Pallas <derrick@pallas.us>,
Subject: Re: Interest in adding multicast support to Wireguard?
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 11:57:12 +0200	[thread overview]

Derrick Lyndon Pallas <derrick@pallas.us> writes:

> I know this has come up a few times before, but if there was resolution,
> I couldn't find it.
>
> I am trying to set up a hub-and-spoke network with many clients
> connected to a single concentrator. One application I need to support
> relies on mDNS.

While I generally support adding multicast support to Wireguard, for
mDNS you may be able to solve your problem by using a 'hybrid proxy'
which makes it possible to do mDNS discovery over unicast DNS. See
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-10 for the standard,
and https://github.com/sbyx/ohybridproxy for an implementation. I'm
running the latter on my network, and while it does require a bit of
configuration, it works reasonably well for device discovery across
routed network segments... So depending on your setup it could likely be
made to work across wg links as well :)

-Toke