On Sun 2017-10-29 23:06:31 +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > By the way, the program you wrote introduces a trivial local privilege > escalation vulnerability into Debian, since not all available > providers of the resolvconf binary set PATH themselves. Always clear > environment variables yourself before exec'ing anything in an suid > executable. Thanks for this report, it should be fixed in resolvconf-admin 0.3. This is a bad failure in the filtering that resolvconf-admin is supposed to provide. I note that the privilege escalation vulnerability was for any code that would normally have been running as root anyway without resolvconf-admin -- so it leaves systems no worse than they'd been without resolvconf-admin (since no user is added to the resolvconf-admins group by default). But it's definitely a bad failure mode, given the design and intent of resolvconf-admin. I appreciate the catch! Please don't hesitate to report any other similar problems. Regards, --dkg