Development discussion of WireGuard
From: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@toke.dk>
To: Daniel Golle <daniel@makrotopia.org>,
	Florent Daigniere <nextgens@freenetproject.org>
Cc: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com>,
Subject: Re: passing-through TOS/DSCP marking
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:24:29 +0200	[thread overview]

Daniel Golle <daniel@makrotopia.org> writes:

> Hi Florent,
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 07:55:09AM +0000, Florent Daigniere wrote:

>> > Can you share a few more details about the network setup? I.e., where
>> > is
>> > the bottleneck link that requires this special treatment?
>>
>> I can tell you about mine. WiFi in a congested environment: "voip on
>> mobile phones". WMM/802.11e uses the diffserv markings; most commercial
>> APs will do the right thing provided packets are marked appropriately.
>>
>> At the time I have sent patches (back in 2019) for both the golang and
>> linux implementation that turned it on by default. I believe that
>> Russell Strong further improved upon them by adding a knob (20190318 on
>> this mailing list).
>
> Thank you very much for the hint!
> This patch is exactly what I was looking for:
> https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2019-March/004026.html
>
> Unfortunately it has not received a great amount of feedback back then.
> I'll try forward-porting and deploying it now, because to me it looks
> like the best solution money can buy :)

I think you can achieve something similar using BPF filters, by relying
on wireguard passing through the skb->hash value when encrypting.

Simply attach a TC-BPF filter to the wireguard netdev, pull out the DSCP
value and store it in a map keyed on skb->hash. Then, run a second BPF
filter on the physical interface that shares that same map, lookup the
DSCP value based on the skb->hash value, and rewrite the outer IP
header.

The read-side filter will need to use bpf_get_hash_recalc() to make sure
the hash is calculated before the packet gets handed to wireguard, and
it'll be subject to hash collisions, but I think it should generally
work fairly well (for anything that's flow-based of course). And it can
be done without patching wireguard itself :)

-Toke