Development discussion of WireGuard
* wireguard on multi user windows ?
@ 2020-11-28 17:04 Henning Ryll
From: Henning Ryll @ 2020-11-28 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello,

I'm looking for a (more or less) secure solution of installing and running wireguard.

In our family we have only one notebook running win10/64.
Since this is the only device with internet access it has to be reliable as possible. So we are running 4 accounts.
admin, father, mother, son. Of course only the admin has admin rights. But all users have operator rights because the notebook is taken to different locations i.e. at school, to friends, during holiday.

I'm running OpenVPN to do my homework with this notebook too. And because my openvpn.p12 file is protected by a password my family can not use it because the did not know my password. Even if they have physical access to it.

But with wireguard there is no such protection. And with the new wireguard for windows the key files have been moved.
And as far as i undertstud everybody in the operator group can start the wireguard tunnel.
But my chief will be very very unhappy if this will occur ....

How to install wireguard on a multiuser system. And only the owner of a keyfile can run his tunnel?
Other users may be able to run other tunnels.
Or is wireguard still unuseable for me and I have to stay at OpenVPN?

Henning

* Re: wireguard on multi user windows ?
@ 2020-11-30 11:59 Henning Ryll
From: Henning Ryll @ 2020-11-30 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello,

@Simon
please read careful and don't interpret ...
I never wrote that I'm using a company laptop. There are only desktop machines in my company.

And I know half a dozen people with the same problem.
They own small company's with only 2 to 5 employees. They are willing to allow homework, at least during covid-19.
But they did not have the money to buy additional hardware, or even a complete VPN solution.

So I see wireguard will be no solution for them in near future.

And OpenVPN is even no real solution, like Jason described...
But for the moment is's better then nothing. I can only hope that other users are not running any background services after a reboot.

Regards
Henning