Development discussion of WireGuard
* Question about Crowdin operation
@ 2020-04-18 15:55 tanioka404
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: tanioka404 @ 2020-04-18 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm translating WireGuard apps into Japanese.
I have a question about operation in Crowdin.

When translate, we translators need to clarify about original string's
context or meaning. In that situation, which option is preferred?

- send ML about question.
- in Crowdin, use comment.
- in Crowdin, use comment and flag "Issue".
- in Crowdin, use Discussion.

# I had used second option, but never mention to anyone.
# Should I had to mention to ?

Kind regards,
Eiji Tanioka

* Question about Crowdin operation
@ 2020-04-18 16:58 ` me
From: me @ 2020-04-18 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

April 18, 2020 9:25 PM, "Eiji Tanioka" <tanioka404 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm translating WireGuard apps into Japanese.
> I have a question about operation in Crowdin.
>
> When translate, we translators need to clarify about original string's
> context or meaning. In that situation, which option is preferred?
>
> - send ML about question.
> - in Crowdin, use comment.
> - in Crowdin, use comment and flag "Issue".
> - in Crowdin, use Discussion.
>
> # I had used second option, but never mention to anyone.
> # Should I had to mention to ?

The second option is perfectly fine, though you'll have better luck if you
mention me or Jason since that will ensure Crowdin does not swallow up the
notifications.

@ 2020-04-18 20:08 ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2020-04-18 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 9:56 AM Eiji Tanioka <tanioka404 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm translating WireGuard apps into Japanese.
> I have a question about operation in Crowdin.
>
> When translate, we translators need to clarify about original string's
> context or meaning. In that situation, which option is preferred?
>
> - send ML about question.
> - in Crowdin, use comment.
> - in Crowdin, use comment and flag "Issue".
> - in Crowdin, use Discussion.
>
> # I had used second option, but never mention to anyone.
> # Should I had to mention to ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Eiji Tanioka

Hey Eiji,

CC'ing Harsh, Simon, and Roopesh, as they might have different
opinions on what they prefer.

From my end, any form of communication is fine, whether its on Crowdin
or on the mailing list, because lowering the barrier for people to
volunteer their hours translating strings for us seems like a good
thing.

I suppose one advantage of Crowdin is that the discussions are placed
beside the translations, which makes it easy for future people to
correlate the two, and most discussions tend to be clarifications on
particular strings, rather than interesting technical conversation
that would benefit from the archiving afforded by mailing lists.

AFAICT, the "issue" flag sends us an email notification, which is a
good thing if you need an answer.

Jason

* Question about Crowdin operation
@ 2020-04-18 20:24 ` me
From: me @ 2020-04-18 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

April 19, 2020 1:38 AM, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 9:56 AM Eiji Tanioka <tanioka404 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm translating WireGuard apps into Japanese.
>> I have a question about operation in Crowdin.
>>
>> When translate, we translators need to clarify about original string's
>> context or meaning. In that situation, which option is preferred?
>>
>> - send ML about question.
>> - in Crowdin, use comment.
>> - in Crowdin, use comment and flag "Issue".
>> - in Crowdin, use Discussion.
>>
>> # I had used second option, but never mention to anyone.
>> # Should I had to mention to ?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Eiji Tanioka
>
> Hey Eiji,
>
> CC'ing Harsh, Simon, and Roopesh, as they might have different
> opinions on what they prefer.
>
> From my end, any form of communication is fine, whether its on Crowdin
> or on the mailing list, because lowering the barrier for people to
> volunteer their hours translating strings for us seems like a good
> thing.

Same goes for me, I'll take whatever's the easiest route for translators
and work with it.

> I suppose one advantage of Crowdin is that the discussions are placed
> beside the translations, which makes it easy for future people to
> correlate the two, and most discussions tend to be clarifications on
> particular strings, rather than interesting technical conversation
> that would benefit from the archiving afforded by mailing lists.
>
> AFAICT, the "issue" flag sends us an email notification, which is a
> good thing if you need an answer.
>
> Jason

Harsh Shandilya

* Question about Crowdin operation
@ 2020-04-19  5:21   ` tanioka404
From: tanioka404 @ 2020-04-19  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harsh, Jason,
Thank you for quick response!

> The second option is perfectly fine, though you'll have better luck if you
> mention me or Jason since that will ensure Crowdin does not swallow up the
> notifications.

> AFAICT, the "issue" flag sends us an email notification, which is a
> good thing if you need an answer.

I understood.
When I use comments is when I need a response, so I will try to use
the mention or issue flag.