Development discussion of WireGuard
* Re: Usability issue in MacOS
@ 2020-04-05  5:14 Eric Roch
From: Eric Roch @ 2020-04-05  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi Jason,

On a similar note, I’ve noticed that it isn’t possible to temporarily
disable the interface if an On-Demand rule is active.  Would it be
possible to add something like the behavior of the WiFi toggle in iOS?
That is, the wg interface is activated when connected to wifi, but
disabling it via the menu bar will turn off On-Demand until a new wifi
is connected (akin to moving with the iOS behavior) or “tomorrow”
(probably more like 3am or something).

Thanks
Eric

* Re: Usability issue in MacOS
@ 2020-02-08 21:51   ` Yoni Leitersdorf
From: Yoni Leitersdorf @ 2020-02-08 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

The original concept behind "On Demand" is to trigger the VPN when it's
needed - specifically when specific domains are being accessed. Indeed,
Apple expanded it to even include interfaces that are connected, SSIDs,
etc, in a non-intuitive way.

However, what makes it somewhat more un-intuitive is the fact that these
checkboxes appear in the main configuration screen for the tunnel. So, one
just simply checks the boxes, thinking "I want VPN to work on-demand on all
of my interfaces". Since, this feature works so oddly (compared to its
name), I would recommend putting it under a separate dialog. In that
dialog, we can explain what this feature does, and also allow for DNS names
to be used, which is the main use case for VPN On Demand.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Talk to Apple about that:
>

> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension/personal_vpn/vpn_on_demand_rules
>
> I'm hesitant to stray too far from the analogies that they set up,
> even if this is geared toward developers, because inevitably people
> start googling, and I'd rather them find what they're searching for.

* Re: Usability issue in MacOS
@ 2020-02-08 21:39 ` Alex Burke
From: Alex Burke @ 2020-02-08 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoni Leitersdorf; +Cc: wireguard

Hey Yoni,

This is consistent with Apple's terminology [0], which I agree is not intuitive.

Cheers,
Alex

[0] https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension/personal_vpn/vpn_on_demand_rules

> El 8 febr 2020, a les 22:25, Yoni Leitersdorf <litelite@gmail.com> va escriure:
>

> When configuring a tunnel in the MacOS client, there's an option called "On-Demand". If Ethernet and/or Wi-Fi are checked, the client will auto-connect the tunnel.
>
> It's a great feature, but the term "On-Demand" is misleading. I would suggest "Auto-Connect" or "Auto-Establish" instead.

* Re: Usability issue in MacOS
@ 2020-02-08 21:37 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-02-08 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Talk to Apple about that:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension/personal_vpn/vpn_on_demand_rules

I'm hesitant to stray too far from the analogies that they set up,
even if this is geared toward developers, because inevitably people
start googling, and I'd rather them find what they're searching for.

* Usability issue in MacOS
@ 2020-02-07 15:50 Yoni Leitersdorf
From: Yoni Leitersdorf @ 2020-02-07 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard