Development discussion of WireGuard
From: John Lauro <johnalauro@gmail.com>
To: Nico Schottelius <nico.schottelius@ungleich.ch>
Cc: "Daniel Gröber" <dxld@darkboxed.org>,
	wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com>,
	"Baptiste Jonglez" <baptiste@bitsofnetworks.org>
Subject: Re: Wg source address is too sticky for multihomed systems aka multiple endpoints redux
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:47:11 -0400	[thread overview]

I have a lots of multihomed routers setup for vpn site to site and
running bgp over the vpn mesh.

First, make sure these are all 0 as are multihomed.
cat $( find /proc/sys/net/ipv4 -name rp_filter )

The other thing I do is I run a different wireguard interface and peer
on a different port and interface.

With bgp on top, one multihomed router to another multihomed router
just ends up being multiple links it can route over and let linux/bgp
decide which ones to use and automatically fail over if one path goes
down.

That said, I don't have any NAT and both ends have fixed IPs, although
they are multihomed.

Can you create a separate wireguard interface for each physical
interface (I suggest a different port too).  Separate wireguard
interfaces should keep WG from having issues, and of course disabling
rp_filter to keep linux from having issues.