I think it would be brilliant to see an guide setting up a server on a OpenWRT router, and then setting up a Mac laptop as a roaming client that could connect to the network as required. Unfortunately I do not have much time to help with this, but I believe that this would be a very common use case. Cheers, Paul On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote: > Hi all-- > > On Wed 2017-02-15 09:05:29 -0500, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > > As WireGuard gets more and more popular, I have more people contacting > > me about novice guides and blog entries and step by step things. If > > anybody would be up for writing these or assisting with it, it would > > be much appreciated. Probably better to tackle this before horribly > > written guides with bad advice fill the void instead. > > Agreed about wanting better-written guides to pre-empt terrible ones :) > > A good "novice guide" usually has the following pattern: > > a) Present the specific goal of the guide at a high level (if you think > want X, this is the guide for you) -- the goal should not be > "install WireGuard", which is meaningless to a novice, but something > like one of the following: > > * have two machines establish a secure connection between each other > across the public Internet > > * give my laptop an IP address on my home network no matter where I am > > * allow co-workers to access office resources from the road > > * run a "virtual office" offering secure connections between the > computers of multiple co-workers who are scattered and have no > central physical location > > * operate a public-facing encrypted Internet proxy service > (a.k.a. "VPN provider") > > b) Present frequently-confused *non* use cases (if you think you want > these other things, this is not your guide) > > c) Document assumed platform details (if your examples are only known to > work on Ubuntu 16.10, say so!) > > d) Document steps to take to achieve the goal (these should be very > simple. If it's more than 5 steps, the tools or the platform should > probably be improved) > > e) Diagnostics, troubleshooting and debugging (again, should be > relatively minimal, but should include at least how to check that > things are working, what you might see if they're not working, and > recovery from common failure modes) > > f) Outbound links to learn more (this should include suggestions about > where to file bug reports, and how to follow up on this mailing list) > > > choosing (a) and (c) carefully are kind of critical for even knowing > where to begin if you want to write such a guide for novices. > > Those of us who are not novices understand that tools like WireGuard can > be used on a lot of different platforms (c) to perform a lot of > different tasks (a), but how those tasks are carried out might have more > to do with policy details (where do you get the peer's public keys from? > how do you verify that they're the right public keys? How do peers find > each other if there are no stable public IP addresses? How do you > allocate IP addresses for the wg interfaces? Which traffic should each > peer route over which wg interfaces?) than with WireGuard itself. > > The fact that the WireGuard-specific instructions for any such guide are > likely to be minimal is one of the strengths of WireGuard, i think. But > that also means that any novice guide is going to be at least as much > about non-WireGuard details as it is about WireGuard itself. > > Jason, what kinds of novice guides are people asking for? What kinds of > guides are people on this list interested in writing? > > --dkg > > _______________________________________________ > WireGuard mailing list > WireGuard@lists.zx2c4.com > https://lists.zx2c4.com/mailman/listinfo/wireguard > >