Development discussion of WireGuard
* [fyi] test in the wild (wg + gretap + batman-adv) on tplink842
@ 2016-12-24  0:24 jens
From: jens @ 2016-12-24  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

i have done some testing with nodes configured like the one in the wild
with a 842v3
(similar to Tplink-841 but with 8Mb Flash, i have difficulties to build
lede on the 841 - it is posible but extreme tricky, so for now i needed
a PoC of wireguard with gretap to use batman-adv routing protocol)

results are, with nearby all the packages we use in the wild for our 350
Node Meshnetwork.
link only      - 32 Mbit
on top wg0 - 26,7 Mbit
on top gretap and batman-adv (v14) - 14,8 Mbit.

lede - gluon with Wireguard 0.0.161223 kernel 4.4.36

i described it a bit more in detail here (sorry only in german)
https://forum.freifunk.net/t/erste-ernuechternde-lede-wireguard-gretap-er=
gebnisse-unter-livebedingungen/14057

so, just to let you know. thx and have some nice days
Jens

--=20
make the world nicer, please use PGP encryption

* Re: [fyi] test in the wild (wg + gretap + batman-adv) on tplink842
@ 2016-12-24 16:35 ` Jehan Tremback
From: Jehan Tremback @ 2016-12-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why would batman-adv affect the
speed?

--
  Jehan Tremback
  jehan@altheamesh.com

@ 2016-12-25  4:14   ` jens
From: jens @ 2016-12-25  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24.12.2016 17:35, Jehan Tremback wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why would batman-adv affect th=
> speed?

not directly,

or i don't understand where your conclusion came from. batman-adv means
a lot of little batman-mesh-protocoll packets (namely ogm packets,
protocoll traffic is around 300 kbits in our network. which also will
travel over gretap/wireguard)

this scenario is equivalent to our free wifi network with 300++ nodes
and +-1000 users.
We use batman-adv as mesh protocol. While wireguard is layer 3 we need
to have layer2 over this tunnel.
so i tested wireguard + gretap + batman-adv   successfully.

compared to a other known layer2 crypted tunnel protocol (fastd) this is
3 times faster, which is mainly due to wireguard is a kernel-module and
fastd lay in userspace. (-> context switche)

i testet on weak devices, because this is what is deployed in big
numbers in our (and many other) Freifunk community.
also there are plenty of packets and stuff - so this explain the
relative low throughput. At least compared with clean linked test-setups.=

hope this explain my motivation and the reason why i test this in this
special scenario.

Jens/fuzzle

@ 2016-12-30  1:24     ` Jehan Tremback
From: Jehan Tremback @ 2016-12-30  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Got it, thanks.

--
  Jehan Tremback
  jehan@altheamesh.com

@ 2016-12-31  2:30 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2016-12-31  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jens,

Great results; thanks for doing the measurements.

It's a shame that gretap&batman-adv have such a performance hit. Have
you been able to do any debugging to find out why this is?

Jason