On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 11:30 AM Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > > On 11/25/20, Riccardo Paolo Bestetti wrote: > > On Wed Nov 25, 2020 at 2:08 AM CET, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > >> Hi Riccardo, > >> > >> Interesting consideration. I didn't know that. > > I didn't know that either until I tried to deploy WireGuard on a laptop > > yesterday! It seems not to be documented anywhere. > > > > The group has been around since Windows XP afaik, however I have no idea > > whether the associated licesing chicanery has also been around that long. > > > >> > >> Can you not add that group manually need be? > > I'm not an expert on Windows, but a quick lookup on the net suggests you > > cannot create a local group with a specific SID. > > I'm not convinced this is the case. We're talking about a local group. > Surely there's some on-disk representation of available groups and > associations, no? This line of inquiry needs to be fully exhausted > before we even consider alternatives. > > Has Microsoft documented this limitation? Well, I made Network Configuration Operators work just fine on Windows 10 Home edition. Here are the steps I followed, which I'm sure I could compress into a single powershell script or executable need be: 1. Download psexec from the sysinternals page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec 2. Download nco.reg from the attachment in this email. 3. Open up an administrator console and type `psexec -i -s regedit`. 4. Choose File->Import and select the nco.reg file. 5. Add your user to the group like usual (e.g. `Add-LocalGroupMember -Group "Network Configuration Operators" -Member MrDerp`). I've confirmed that this works fine with the limited operator ui on WireGuard for Windows 0.3.1. Jason