Development discussion of WireGuard
* More reliable packages available for RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora
@ 2020-04-04 21:12 Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-04-04 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard; +Cc: joe, contact

Hey folks,

Joe Doss (cc'd) has maintained our DKMS packages for Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS
for the last several years on his copr. Recently there have been some nice
changes due to the 1.0ing of WireGuard.

- Fedora 32 will get Linux 5.6, so it won't need the DKMS package:
  https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-e8b6474ee5
- Fedora 31 and 30 will also get Linux 5.6 during the next month, so
  they won't need the DKMS package.
- Joe has joined ELRepo (cc'd) as a package maintainer, so RHEL/CentOS
  7/8 will now have binary kmods built over there, signed with ELrepo's
  validating UEFI Secure Boot key, so enterprise users will have more
  reliable updates.
- I've contacted Red Hat about bringing WireGuard directly into the RHEL kernel;
  we'll see what happens there. (I've also reached out to Oracle
  regarding their enterprise situation.)
- The wireguard-tools package moved into Fedora-proper, which means it's
  now available on F32, F31, F30, and RHEL/CentOS 7,8 via EPEL.

The net result of this is that when F31 and F32 move to 5.6, we will no
longer need the copr with DKMS, at all, and also that today, enterprise
users now have a more reliable way to use WireGuard.

The most up to date instructions are on https://www.wireguard.com/install/
but the current situation is:

Fedora 32 now and Fedora 31,30 in a few weeks from now:
$ sudo dnf install wireguard-tools

Fedora 31,30 now, but not in a few weeks from now:
$ sudo dnf copr enable jdoss/wireguard
$ sudo dnf install wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools

RHEL 8:
$ sudo yum install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm
$ sudo yum install https://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-8.el8.elrepo.noarch.rpm
$ sudo yum install kmod-wireguard wireguard-tools

CentOS 8:
$ sudo yum install elrepo-release epel-release
$ sudo yum install kmod-wireguard wireguard-tools

RHEL 7:
$ sudo yum install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
$ sudo yum install https://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
$ sudo yum install kmod-wireguard wireguard-tools

CentOS 7:
$ sudo yum install epel-release
$ sudo yum install https://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
$ sudo yum install kmod-wireguard wireguard-tools

Thanks,
Jason