Development discussion of WireGuard
* Some difficulties to initiate a simple tunnel with Android
@ 2020-04-06  5:03 contact
From: contact @ 2020-04-06  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I want to create a very simple app where the user can connect itself to the VPN without any configuration.
If I understand everything clearly I just have to use the tunnel module who implements the wireguard-go version.

I?m a little bit confused :

- I read the source code of the tunnel path and the ui module and it seems that there is some dependencies between ui and tunnel.

I have some questions :

- Is it possible to use very simply the tunnel module, without ui and initiate very simply a VPN connection?

- Do I have a good idea by using now the tunnel? Will the compatibility of the library be maintained with updates?

- If the main difference between the Android & iOS app is the implementation of the tunnel module, is it a good idea to create a flutter UI with two different ways to communicate with the library for each OS?

Thanks in advance for your help!

?
Kind regards, Alexy ROUSSEAU

* Some difficulties to initiate a simple tunnel with Android
@ 2020-04-06  5:11 ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2020-04-06  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 11:03 PM Alexy-Rousseau
<contact at alexy-rousseau.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to create a very simple app where the user can connect itself to the VPN without any configuration.
> If I understand everything clearly I just have to use the tunnel module who implements the wireguard-go version.
>
> I?m a little bit confused :
>
> - I read the source code of the tunnel path and the ui module and it seems that there is some dependencies between ui and tunnel.
>
> I have some questions :
>
> - Is it possible to use very simply the tunnel module, without ui and initiate very simply a VPN connection?
>
> - Do I have a good idea by using now the tunnel? Will the compatibility of the library be maintained with updates?
>
> - If the main difference between the Android & iOS app is the implementation of the tunnel module, is it a good idea to create a flutter UI with two different ways to communicate with the library for each OS?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> ?
> Kind regards, Alexy ROUSSEAU

Things are now nicely modularized. Include this in your gradle:

dependencies {
    implementation 'com.wireguard.android:tunnel:1.0.20200329'
}

And then you'll be able to embed a tunnel in your Android app.

Documentation is available at:
https://javadoc.io/doc/com.wireguard.android/tunnel/latest/index.html

We're working on improving these docs, but here's a small sample
project that might help:
https://data.zx2c4.com/WireGuardTestApp-88b19fa5-8117-4835-b788-eac338113faa.zip