Development discussion of WireGuard
* wireguard.exe no MessageBox option?
@ 2021-05-13 23:18 Andrew Burkett
From: Andrew Burkett @ 2021-05-13 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Would it be possible to add an option to wireguard.exe to output the
return message for the /install* and /uninstall* commands either to
stdout/stderr or a logfile? It would make it a bit easier to script
installation/management to not have to worry about a MessageBox
popping up with an error.

Thanks for the great software.

Andrew

* Re: wireguard.exe no MessageBox option?
@ 2021-05-14 15:15 ` Jonny Proud
From: Jonny Proud @ 2021-05-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Burkett, wireguard

Hi Andrew,

This would be a great idea for deployments using SCCM or SCCM like tools.

It would be best if the installer had a silent install argument
(/silent), and then depending on the outcome of the install would change
the exit code of the process. Then you can check the returned exit code
from the installer process.

Example codes;
0 - Successful
1 - Known Error 1
2 - Known Error 2
3010 - A reboot is required to complete the install.
and so on.

Then a /log "c:\path\to\file.log" argument to output the installation log

Jonny Proud

@ 2021-05-17 15:07 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2021-05-17 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andrew,

It's a bit tricky, because UI apps are treated differently than
console apps: cmd.exe won't wait for them to complete, and they get
empty stdio handles. But I've used the latter property to detect
what's up and hopefully achieve some kind of compromise. Let me know
if this commit does the trick:

https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-windows/commit/?id=ed59b1b2e834b6d35b11bab63551b21bc60d7f35

Basically, if stderr is available, logs go there. Otherwise if stdout
is available, logs go there. Otherwise errors show in a message box.

So this should allow you to do things like:

wireguard /installtunnelservice ... 2>C:\path\to\log.txt

Jason