Development discussion of WireGuard
* FreeBSD/wireguard-tools
@ 2021-03-09 21:04 Kyle Evans
From: Kyle Evans @ 2021-03-09 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard; +Cc: Bernhard Fröhlich

Hello!

I'll start off with a slight overview of where we're at from a base
system perspective: in November, an if_wg port from OpenBSD to FreeBSD
landed in our development branch, along with updates to ifconfig(8) to
manage it for the time being. We've committed a number of fixes and
improvements since then[0][1], and we will be shipping that in the
upcoming release of FreeBSD 13.0[2].

The only outstanding issue(s) that I'm aware of (please correct me if
I'm mistaken) are the following:

(1) wireguard-tools doesn't currently support FreeBSD/if_wg, but there
is a  branch (mm/freebsd) that generally does. There are further fixes
to this from the fine folks over at Netgate, see [3]. As a FreeBSD
developer, what can I do to help us move forward together?

(2) There's a preference for using wg(8) for configuration, but we
can't currently include it in base due to licensing. We've got plenty
of precedent for dual-licensed material in base, so if that's a route
that works then I'd like to go ahead and start that discussion.

From our standpoint, any of: BSD2, BSD3, MIT, ISC licenses can go in
undisputed, choices outside of that require red, yellow, and sometimes
even purple tape.

These are the points that I'd like to start discussing, at least; we
can punt #2 on a little further down the road, though I would like to
have some plan in place to hopefully be able to include it in base for
FreeBSD 13.1 and the integrated version of wg(8) in ports for testing
much sooner.

I appreciate your time and efforts in providing the excellent
WireGuard ecosystem.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans

[0] https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/sys/dev/if_wg