Development discussion of WireGuard
* freebsd - cpu consumption?
@ 2021-04-14 18:00 Osku Sneits
From: Osku Sneits @ 2021-04-14 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Dear all,

has anyone else noticed the CPU consumption on FreeBSD kernel Wireguard?

For my test link, there is a net speed of 200 Mbit/s.

On esxi based host, transferring inside Wireguard tunnel, full speed
takes about 90% of xeon d-1541 host.

Doing this on CentOS 7, takes less than 20% of the same host.

* Re: freebsd - cpu consumption?
@ 2021-04-14 20:21 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2021-04-14 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Osku,

We'll switch to using FreeBSD's opencrypto at some point, at which
point the performance will improve. Right now we're using boring
unoptimized reference implementations.

See https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2021-March/057076.html
for more info. So far nobody has stepped up to contribute code there.

Jason