Development discussion of WireGuard
From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com>
To: Jasper Knockaert <jasper@knockaert.nl>
Cc: Roman Mamedov <rm@romanrm.net>,
	Joachim Lindenberg <wireguard@lindenberg.one>,
	Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com>,
	unit193@ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Wireguard on Ubuntu 18.04.4 (LTS)?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:57:59 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:48 PM Jasper Knockaert <jasper@knockaert.nl> wrote:
> Is there any advice as to how to migrate from the WireGuard PPA to the
> official Ubuntu repo? Will the WireGuard PPA be maintained now that the
> "official" ubuntu packages have been released?

If you're running a Canonical kernel, you can remove the
wireguard-dkms package, because wireguard is now provided by the
kernels that Canonical provides, which means wireguard will work with
secureboot too and such.

You can also just remove the PPA entirely from your system. The
versioning scheme means that the packages in Canonical's repos will
take precedence over those from the PPA.

The PPA currently supports 16.04 and 14.04. Ubuntu 16.04 will be
getting support from Canonical soon, at which point the PPA will then
only support 14.04. And seeing as 14.04 is out of service, we may well
drop the PPA entirely at this point. But those changes, anyway, are
pending an official announcement when/if we choose to do that.

I apologize that this transition is so awkward and poorly
communicated. I've had a very difficult time in getting Canonical to
follow through in a timely manner with the expectations we had for
their WireGuard roll out. My hope was that the integrations to the
various flavors would simply happen all together, and then we could
make the PPA transition all at once. But unfortunately, it's been this
slow agonizing ripping off of a bandaid, which has been very hard to
motivate, the latest installment of which from this email thread is
that the kernel module hit their kernels before they migrated the
userspace packages from -proposed to -updates. Oh well, mistakes
happen. The final step will be 16.04 support, which AFAICT is
happening more or less as we speak. So despite this being more delayed
than we would have liked, I still remain very optimistic that the end
result will be nice and work well. We'll see!