Development discussion of WireGuard
* [WireGuard] Is nf_conntrack really needed?
@ 2016-11-22 12:17 Baptiste Jonglez
From: Baptiste Jonglez @ 2016-11-22 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I stumbled upon a build error on LEDE, which was caused by a missing
dependency to nf-conntrack (and possibly nf-conntrack6).

I see that NF_CONNTRACK is used only at one place in device.c, and it is
inconditionally required since 3106d632de ("build system: revamp building
and configuration").

Is the inconditional dependency really needed?  nf-conntrack{,6}
introduces another 50 KB of dependencies on LEDE, which means a ~50%
increase in the amount of flash needed.

By the way, nf-conntrack is already required to do NAT, so this discussion
is only relevant for (hypothetical) people building their own LEDE images
without NAT support.

Baptiste