Development discussion of WireGuard
From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com>
To: Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-arch@freebsd.org,
	FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,
Subject: Re: Removing WireGuard Support From FreeBSD Base
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 11:30:13 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Kyle,

I think what you describe is a great plan. I think everybody realizes
at this point that the original code base from the original author
never should have been merged. We went head first in trying to fix it
in a week because we thought that was our only choice. But knowing now
that we can simply remove it, and get back to coding it carefully and
deliberately, is just a huge relief. So that's great. And while it's
under development, we can have an out-of-tree repo for folks to test
out intermediate snapshots and provide feedback, just like the
WireGuard project has always done. In other words, we'll follow the
tried and true formulation of: slow, careful coding + regular
snapshots to receive testing and feedback.

So, I'm quite happy there. And when it is ready, I'm confident it'll
get a thorough review from FreeBSD core developers, which is terrific.
More review ==> better code.

I also want to thank you for your words about Netgate and the various
parties involved. I think nobody wants animosity and tension, and I
imagine your email has helped to calm the tone quite a bit. That's
just the type of reset we need, so that we can get back to what we do
best: writing and refining code.

To others reading, with regards to actual project logistics, I think
what I wrote in the original announcement still stands: we'll have
instructions for module building and such online and we'll announce it
here. And for developers interested, Kyle, MattD, and I have been
coordinating code writing on IRC; if you'd like to join in, ping one
of us there and we'll get you up to speed on repos and ssh keys
whatnot.

Regards,
Jason