Development discussion of WireGuard
* final call for Ubuntu 14.04 WireGuard support
@ 2020-07-21 13:12 Jason A. Donenfeld
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-07-21 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jasper Knockaert, Roman Mamedov, Andy Whitcroft, unit193,
	Joachim Lindenberg, Daniel Kahn Gillmor

Hi,

As we speak, Canonical is finishing up their support for Ubuntu 16.04.
That means WireGuard will be supported in their kernels and in their
package repositories for Ubuntu 20.04, 19.10, 18.04, and 16.04.

That means our PPA will only contain packages for Ubuntu 14.04.

Ordinary support from Canonical (as well as public kernel sources) for
14.04 was EOL'd April 2019, over one year ago. Although there is
technically support until April 2022, this is something that Canonical
sells commercially, with those updates not released to the public
(afaict). As well, my attempts to fix problems in the 14.04 kernel
have been rejected, e.g.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2020-May/110084.html .

With our PPA soon only needing to support 14.04, and with Canonical
not really supporting 14.04 for ordinary folks any more, I am leaning
toward dropping our PPA, and 14.04 support with it, and marking our
downstreaming efforts for Ubuntu integration as "complete".

If you _are_ using WireGuard on Ubuntu 14.04 or know somebody who is,
this would be the time to pipe up, so that we don't leave anyone
hanging. Feel free to respond to this thread regarding ongoing
WireGuard+14.04 usage and why updating your operating system isn't
convenient, or send me an email privately if public disclosure of your
infrastructure isn't an option.

Thanks,
Jason