Development discussion of WireGuard
* [Windows Client] Out of date Title scare my users
@ 2021-11-24 15:21 Bruno UT1
From: Bruno UT1 @ 2021-11-24 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

Thank you again for your great work.

I have a suggestion for the Windows Client (maybe applicable for others).

I install Wireguard in my university on about 500 computers in 2 phases:

Phase 1 : validation

Phase 2 : production

So my end users have not, most of the time, the last version. They have
"Out of date" in the Wireguard window title and some of them call the
helpdesk, thinking they have a problem.

I can't deploy all versions as soon as they are available, I can't
activate automatic update and my users have no admin rights. So my
suggestion is to add a new admin registry key to hide update, or not
check them at all.

Is that possible ?

Regards

* Re: [Windows Client] Out of date Title scare my users
@ 2021-11-24 15:42 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2021-11-24 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno UT1; +Cc: wireguard, Diab Neiroukh

I agree the situation is a bit ridiculous. I'll revert the change that
added this: https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-windows/commit/?id=82129ba288f7561c89bb80e04841ffb46bc29889

I'm CCing Diab, who originally requested the change, in case he wants
to argue with you about it. But in the absence of that, I'll revert.

* Re: [Windows Client] Out of date Title scare my users
@ 2021-11-25 13:34   ` Diab Neiroukh
From: Diab Neiroukh @ 2021-11-25 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld; +Cc: Bruno UT1, wireguard

Dear Bruno,

Whilst I understand the frustration that having hundreds of users can
cause, I don't believe simply reverting the change [as proposed by
Jason] is the correct solution. I've come up with a few alternative
solutions, but before I present them I'd just like to give a brief
introduction into why I requested that change in the first place.

WireGuard on Windows exclusively provides a GUI to users of the
Administrators group, as well as a limited GUI to users of the Network
Configuration Operators group when the `LimitedOperatorUI` DWORD is
set. The latter is helpful for users who wish to separate their
personal and administrator accounts (to protect themselves against the
plethora of UAC exploits, amongst other security issues) where
otherwise the user would have to switch accounts to switch tunnels.
However, the GUI shown to Network Configuration Operators lacked any
information about updates. This lead to users in such setups to not be
informed about any updates unless they switched out to the
Administrator account and or kept an eye on the releases online. This
is quite a problem as users could be running ancient versions of
WireGuard for relatively long periods of time without the knowledge
that they are doing so (some users may even assume WireGuard
automatically updates). As such, I asked Jason if he could add the
ability for non-admins to at least be informed of an update which lead
to where we are today.

After speaking to Jason "off the mailing list", he stated he wouldn't
like to add any more configuration options (via the Registry or within
the GUI) nor any metadata to updates so bearing that in mind I came up
with a few alternatives:

1) Rewording the update prompt for non-admins to appear less
"aggressive". Currently, the prompt is "Please ask the system
administrator to update." but this could be changed to something along
the lines of "There is an update available. The system administrator
will update when necessary." which should reduce most, if not all,
users from contacting you unnecessarily. I can throw up a patch for
this if Jason agrees.

2) Avoiding users seeing the UI at all, where unnecessary. If your
users do not need *control* of the WireGuard configuration, then
avoiding showing them the UI altogether could be an option. I don't
know your system as well as you do, of course, so I can't assure that
this solution is valid. However, having hundreds of users as Network
Configuration Operators sounds a little "worrying" to me.

3) Showing an even more limited UI for unprivileged users. If the users
still need some form of UI, then an even more limited UI could be
presented to users not part of the Administrators nor the Network
Configuration Operators groups. This would lack any form of control,
and could still be under the same `LimitedOperatorUI` Registry DWORD,
or not if is deemed "safe enough for the masses". If it is, you could
say the semantics refer to "Limited [User or Network] Operator UI".

4) Updates could be hidden from the UI for N days after an update or N
updates (preferably two in this case, so that it doesn't pile up) for
Network Configuration Operators. This provides you [and any other
sysadmins] with a "buffer zone" to apply the updates before users
contact you about them. This could also be teamed up with 1) to further
reduce the likelihood of users contacting you. I'm not a large fan of
this "solution", however, since WireGuard for Windows lacks any
metadata to differentiate important and optional updates which can lead
to a security patch or critical bug-fix being ignored for some time.

5) Creating a separate group which are able to switch tunnels. For
users who just need the GUI to switch tunnels, having a group specific
to such behaviour named something along the lines of "WireGuard
Operators" could be helpful.

Hopefully at least one of these suffices for you so that we can meet a
mid-point of sorts that matches both your criteria as well as my own.

PS: Whilst it may seem a pain, I believe that a balance should be
achieved between the sysadmins and users where if the former forgets to
apply an update "for too long" then the users contact them as a
reminder. After all, we're all humans and we do forget sometimes. The
solutions 1) - with a prompt such as "There is an update available. The
system administrator should update soon." - and 4) match up to this
quite nicely.

Thank for your time,
Diab Neiroukh

@ 2021-11-25 14:23   ` lazerl0rd
From: lazerl0rd @ 2021-11-25 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld; +Cc: Bruno UT1, wireguard

[...]

behavior named something along the lines of "WireGuard Operators" could

@ 2021-11-25 16:07     ` Bruno UT1
From: Bruno UT1 @ 2021-11-25 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lazerl0rd, Jason A. Donenfeld; +Cc: wireguard

Hi Diab,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

My suggestion to add a new registry key seemed easy, but I understand a
limited number of options is important.

 From your alternatives :

1) Probably the easiest to implement. It's not my favorite, but it would
be better no doubt.

2) I used Network Configuration Operators for everyone because no other
option was available. It's not great as you said, but users need to
start and stop the VPN sometimes. I can't remove all rights.

3) Do you suggest a "read only" interface ? I looks like the opposite of
what I need, the less users see the better.

4) It seems pretty complicate for a small improvement. Like you I'm not
fan, but why not if Jason like it. It can but combined with the first
option.

5) I like this option, but I supposed it wasn't possible. If it is, a
group that can only access to the list of tunnels and start or stop them
is a good solution for my environment. Removing Network Configuration
Operators rights would be an improvement.

To summarize, the option 5 is what I'm looking for from the beginning.
But if it's to complicate (or impossible) to do, the first one looks
like a good start.

Rewording can be done easily and quickly (before a better solution is
chosen, if possible). In that case, I indicate that I mainly use the
french localization (it explains my poor english language level). Maybe
the french version seems more aggressive that the english one? I don't
know who leads this language translation, but I suggest him (or her) to
change the Windows title "Obsolète" (out of date) to something softer,
or nothing in the title just the update tab.

Thank for your time too,

Bruno ANDRY

@ 2021-11-25 16:27       ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2021-11-25 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> nothing in the title just the update tab.

If you find that an acceptable compromise, it's fine with me.

* Re: [Windows Client] Out of date Title scare my users
@ 2021-11-26  8:47         ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2021-11-26  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-windows/commit/?id=8120d07dd5fc9a5e545419fe13490086ce920f31

Is this okay with both of you?

* Re: [Windows Client] Out of date Title scare my users
@ 2021-11-26  9:17           ` lazerl0rd
From: lazerl0rd @ 2021-11-26  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I assume you've chosen the "reword" route instead of any larger changes,
for the better or worse (though as Bruno said, it would be great if 5)
is considered somewhere down the line).

Since this route was chosen, I suggest that we also reword the update
prompt itself as I feel that is equally responsible for users "freaking
out". After all, it is literally telling users to contact their sysadmin
instantly for each update. I propose something along the lines of the
following patch (though I guess il8n will be a bit of a pain):

```
 From 76ea8a81cf327527089bfea8209bf4f2faa1b6cf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
 From: Diab Neiroukh <lazerl0rd@thezest.dev>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:12:15 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] ui: Don't explicitly tell users to contact their
sysadmin for
  updates.

The wording used here practically told users to instantly contact their
system administrators for every update. We can reword it to instead to
implicitly suggest that they contact their system administrator if
the update has not been applied for "a relatively long time".

Signed-off-by: Diab Neiroukh <lazerl0rd@thezest.dev>
---
  ui/updatepage.go | 2 +-
  zgotext.go       | 2 +-

diff --git a/ui/updatepage.go b/ui/updatepage.go
index 96fc87f3..76a8dced 100644
--- a/ui/updatepage.go
+++ b/ui/updatepage.go
@@ -65,7 +65,7 @@ func NewUpdatePage() (*UpdatePage, error) {
  	button.SetText(l18n.Sprintf("Update Now"))

  	if !IsAdmin {
-		button.SetText(l18n.Sprintf("Please ask the system administrator to
update."))
+		button.SetText(l18n.Sprintf("There is an update available. The system
administrator should update soon."))
  		button.SetEnabled(false)
  		status.SetText(l18n.Sprintf("Status: Waiting for administrator"))
  	}
diff --git a/zgotext.go b/zgotext.go
index efbb9a80..e35974aa 100644
--- a/zgotext.go
+++ b/zgotext.go
@@ -235,7 +235,7 @@ var messageKeyToIndex = map[string]int{
  	"Packet with invalid IP version from %v":
  215,
  	"Peer":
  100,
  	"Persistent keepalive:":
  54,
-	"Please ask the system administrator to update.":
  275,
+	"There is an update available. The system administrator should update
soon.":                         275,
  	"Preshared key:":
  51,
  	"Protocol version must be 1":
  85,
  	"Public key:":
  46,
--
2.34.0
```

@ 2021-11-30 10:12             ` Bruno UT1
From: Bruno UT1 @ 2021-11-30 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I validate what Diab said. It's a good start, hoping option 5 will be
possible later.

Thank you for changes.

Have a good day.