Development discussion of WireGuard
* Sharing peer data
@ 2018-04-14 19:16 Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
From: Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca @ 2018-04-14 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello,

In a setup node A <> node B, node A <> node C, C might talk to B passing
through A. Would it be possible that A could share B and C info (ip and
pubkey) in other to them to talk to each other directly? It would be
similar to ip redirect. Node A must be trusted by both for that.

Regards,
--

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
luizluca@gmail.com

* Re: Sharing peer data
@ 2018-04-14 23:15 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-04-14 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Luiz,

You could indeed arrange for something like this, either directly --
if both IPs are accessible or if A is able to punch a hole -- or
relayed, if you can't establish a direct session. This is similar to
what Tinc does. Namely, this falls in the category of, "making a full
mesh from a partial mesh." I say, "you could", because currently this
is something people are generally doing manually with WireGuard.
However, there's a GSoC project for making a minimal mesh networking
utility for WireGuard, which I hope pans out, and maybe even Tinc
integration. So we'll see what happens in this space.

Jason

* Re: Sharing peer data
@ 2018-04-15  3:18   ` Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
From: Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca @ 2018-04-15  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Jason,

Yes, something very similar to tinc. I imagine having two or more
static/known peers (redundancy) configured on every node. Once connected,
they discover the others.

It's good to know there is a GSoC for something like it.
--

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
luizluca@gmail.com

* Re: Sharing peer data
@ 2018-04-15 10:08   ` ST
From: ST @ 2018-04-15 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2018-04-15 at 01:15 +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hi Luiz,
>
> You could indeed arrange for something like this, either directly --
> if both IPs are accessible

Which IPs do you mean here? Public IPs or private VPN IPs (i.e. those
defined within WireGuard configuration)? I got an idea how to do that
using SFTP... I'll write about it in a separate email...

Just one question: let's assume B and C got the required information
about each other's IPs/public keys from A. Will they now communicate
directly without relying on A in whatever way?... It is important to
know for the case when A is a server with metered paid traffic... Will
the communication between B and C affect the traffic of A or not?

Thank you!

* Re: Sharing peer data
@ 2018-04-16  1:47     ` Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
From: Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca @ 2018-04-16  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)