On Fri, Aug 10, 2018, 3:16 PM em12345 wrote: > Hi, > > > From my point of view, the only thing which makes me uncomfortable about > > wireguard is the lack of any second authentication factor. Your private > > key is embedded in a plaintext file in your device (e.g. laptop), not > > even protected with a passphrase. > > Most VPN authentications are just authorizing the machine and not the > user sitting in front of that machine. > > > Anyone who gains access to that > > laptop is able to establish wireguard connections. > > > > Of course, it can be argued that the laptop holds other information > > which is more valuable that the wireguard key, therefore you should > > concentrate on properly securing the laptop itself (*). Furthermore, > > No matter how much keys, passwords or tokens have to be entered by the > user sitting in front of that machine, any other user already on that > machine, will gain sooner or later access to the tunnel. This user or > attacker doesn't even need to see/know wireguard's private key nor does > the attacker need root access. Think of a second user logged in on that > machine. > > It is definitely a bad idea to assume that the tunnel traffic of one > "client" (in terms of wg's client key pair) comes from a specific user. > Which also means that even multi factor VPN authentication still require > all services inside the tunnel to ask for user authentication. > It should me noted that it is possible to isolate the VPN access to a specific user if you assign login sessions to isolated network namespaces and place the wireguard interface within the user's namespace. -Reuben >