Development discussion of WireGuard
* Fwd: Android Kernel Backend Bug
       [not found] <CALO3qbtXBYT2VRRit4tDC_k5aXmQWTj7n=qXbOBF=d0eZYO54w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-06-14 18:29 ` ND
From: ND @ 2020-06-14 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I've been trying to report an issue regarding the Android Kernel backend on
irc freenode. I was told to email here.

The problem:
On LTE, my LTE carrier assigns two DNS servers, a private 10.x.x.x IP and
8.8.8.8.
When using KERNEL BACKEND, establishing a tunnel doesn't override the
carrier assigned DNS and DNS resolution goes through 8.8.8.8. All traffic
still goes through the tunnel but the DNS does not respect the client
config.

On Userspace backend, the DNS i set in the client config (10.0.0.1 i.e. my
PiHole server) is respected.

I'm on One Plus 6 latest Android Q. I've tried 2 kernels: Cleanslate and
Radioactive kernel. Both support Wireguard.

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_20200614-205517~2.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 212654 bytes --]

* Re: Android Kernel Backend Bug
@ 2020-06-17  8:08   ` Harsh Shandilya
From: Harsh Shandilya @ 2020-06-17  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ND; +Cc: wireguard, Jason A. Donenfeld

On Jun 14 2020, at 11:59 pm, ND <iamlegendwtf@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to report an issue regarding the Android Kernel
> backend on
> irc freenode. I was told to email here.
>
> The problem:
> On LTE, my LTE carrier assigns two DNS servers, a private 10.x.x.x IP and
> 8.8.8.8.
> When using KERNEL BACKEND, establishing a tunnel doesn't override the
> carrier assigned DNS and DNS resolution goes through 8.8.8.8. All traffic
> still goes through the tunnel but the DNS does not respect the client
> config.
>
> On Userspace backend, the DNS i set in the client config (10.0.0.1
> i.e. my
> PiHole server) is respected.
>
> I'm on One Plus 6 latest Android Q. I've tried 2 kernels: Cleanslate and
> Radioactive kernel. Both support Wireguard.

I've CC'ed Jason who should have a better idea of what's going wrong
here. I sadly cannot confirm this on my end since I've upgraded to
Android R where Google has continued to butcher the command-line
tooling, thus breaking wg-quick.