Development discussion of WireGuard
* Adding comments for a peer through wg set
@ 2020-03-17  1:52 Sukhbir Singh
From: Sukhbir Singh @ 2020-03-17  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

When adding a new peer through `wg set', it seems like there is no way
to include comments in the parameters. To solve this, the hack I use
involves making sure SaveConfig is set in wg0.conf, adding the peer,
`wg-quick save' and then appending the desired comment to the end of the
wg0.conf file. This helps me add the peer without taking down the tunnel
and also saves it to the config.

Is there a better way? Note that I tried adding the comments to the
different parameters (using "#") but it didn't work as expected.

What's the reason for adding comments? So as to keep some notes about
the peer I added, like "[Peer] ... # laptop config". So if there is a
better solution for key management, please do share.

Thanks.

--
Sukhbir

* Re: Adding comments for a peer through wg set
@ 2020-03-17 18:18 ` Barry
From: Barry @ 2020-03-17 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sukhbir Singh; +Cc: wireguard

> Hi,
>
> When adding a new peer through `wg set', it seems like there is no way
> to include comments in the parameters. To solve this, the hack I use
> involves making sure SaveConfig is set in wg0.conf, adding the peer,
> `wg-quick save' and then appending the desired comment to the end of the
> wg0.conf file. This helps me add the peer without taking down the tunnel
> and also saves it to the config.
>
> Is there a better way? Note that I tried adding the comments to the
> different parameters (using "#") but it didn't work as expected.
>
> What's the reason for adding comments? So as to keep some notes about
> the peer I added, like "[Peer] ... # laptop config". So if there is a
> better solution for key management, please do share.

My solution to this problem is to maintain my own files and generate
the server wg0.conf from them. I also generate the clients wg0.conf
from the same data. I manage the allocation of IP addresses automatically.

Then the things that you are using comments for can be key/value
pairs in thoses files. For example I have a friendly name for each peer.

Barry