Development discussion of WireGuard
 help / color / Atom feed
* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
       [not found] <1911672182.4980335.1590508735704@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2020-05-26 16:03 ` Harsh Shandilya
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Harsh Shandilya @ 2020-05-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Marinez; +Cc: WireGuard mailing list



On May 26 2020, at 9:28 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Harsh,
>  
> Here's the situation, there's a bunch of us that are using these MiFis
> for use in China and HK. I'm sure you've heard in the news of what's
> happening in HK at the moment. I have a copy of the kernel but haven't
> managed to do the manifest.xml nor the other file. But what I did do
> was contact the manufacturer that is here in HK and they've agreed to
> collaborate. If I was the only one benefiting from this it wouldn't be
> fair. The manufacturer understands the severity but can't for obvious
> reasons push an OTA rooted kernel to all their devices. They've asked
> me if there's a way to patch their kernel tree with a Wireguard
> module. I told them I would ask and here I am.
>  
> I have the kernel here, please disregard the ads:
> https://www.sendspace.com/file/79o6c8 
>  
>  
> What can they do to get their kernel patched?

This repository will get Android kernels started in the most
straightforward fashion: https://git.zx2c4.com/android_kernel_wireguard/about/.

> There's a bunch of DOD people and families that will highly appreciate
> this. I will make certain a nice donation comes your way.
>  
> Thanks,
> Jose
>  
> On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 7:21 PM, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Thank you. I will try it out. Fingers crossed!!!
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>> On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 10:29:12 AM EDT, Harsh Shandilya
>> <me@msfjarvis.dev> wrote:  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>> On May 21 2020, at 7:52 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>  
>>> Thank you so much Harsh. What's the best way to make my kernel
>>> available to you? Even if you could allow me to push to the repo I
>>> wouldn't know where to save it.
>>  
>>  
>> The repo is maintained on GitHub so you will have to fork the repository
>> and create a pull request with your changes, help.github.com has very
>> beginner friendly documentation if this is your first time around this.
>>  
>> The process for adding a kernel is a bit involved and the documentation
>> isn't quite fleshed out. You can check the steps out here[1] and an
>> example of adding a new device to the repository here[2].
>>  
>> 1: https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder#adding-your-phones-kernel
>> 2: https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/pull/3/files
>>  
>>  
>>>  
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
  2020-05-21 14:28               ` Harsh Shandilya
@ 2020-05-21 23:20                 ` Jose Marinez
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Jose Marinez @ 2020-05-21 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Shandilya; +Cc: wireguard, Mehdi Sadeghi

Thank you. I will try it out. Fingers crossed!!!







On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 10:29:12 AM EDT, Harsh Shandilya <me@msfjarvis.dev> wrote: 






On May 21 2020, at 7:52 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much Harsh. What's the best way to make my kernel
> available to you? Even if you could allow me to push to the repo I
> wouldn't know where to save it.


The repo is maintained on GitHub so you will have to fork the repository
and create a pull request with your changes, help.github.com has very
beginner friendly documentation if this is your first time around this.

The process for adding a kernel is a bit involved and the documentation
isn't quite fleshed out. You can check the steps out here[1] and an
example of adding a new device to the repository here[2].

1: https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder#adding-your-phones-kernel
2: https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/pull/3/files



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
  2020-05-21 14:22             ` Jose Marinez
@ 2020-05-21 14:28               ` Harsh Shandilya
  2020-05-21 23:20                 ` Jose Marinez
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Harsh Shandilya @ 2020-05-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Marinez; +Cc: "wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com", Mehdi Sadeghi


On May 21 2020, at 7:52 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much Harsh. What's the best way to make my kernel
> available to you? Even if you could allow me to push to the repo I
> wouldn't know where to save it.

The repo is maintained on GitHub so you will have to fork the repository
and create a pull request with your changes, help.github.com has very
beginner friendly documentation if this is your first time around this.

The process for adding a kernel is a bit involved and the documentation
isn't quite fleshed out. You can check the steps out here[1] and an
example of adding a new device to the repository here[2].

1: https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder#adding-your-phones-kernel
2: https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/pull/3/files


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
  2020-05-21  7:05           ` Harsh Shandilya
@ 2020-05-21 14:22             ` Jose Marinez
  2020-05-21 14:28               ` Harsh Shandilya
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Jose Marinez @ 2020-05-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Shandilya; +Cc: wireguard, Mehdi Sadeghi

Thank you so much Harsh. What's the best way to make my kernel available to you? Even if you could allow me to push to the repo I wouldn't know where to save it.

Thank you for this and your work on the apps.





^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
  2020-05-20 20:53         ` Jose Marinez
@ 2020-05-21  7:05           ` Harsh Shandilya
  2020-05-21 14:22             ` Jose Marinez
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Harsh Shandilya @ 2020-05-21  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Marinez; +Cc: wireguard, Mehdi Sadeghi



On May 21 2020, at 2:23 am, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mehdi. I'll take a look.
>  
> @Harsh,
>  
> Thank you for the clarification. I will reach out to both. I know that
> on macOS Catalina, Apple implemented new APIs for loading kernel
> modules now that the core of the OS is read-only. Not sure if they've
> done the same for iOS. Perhaps they'll announce that next month.
>  
>> @Harsh - I do have a rooted Android device with Wireguard on I can use
>> for tethering. Say I build my kernel module from the list you sent.
>> How do I go about integrating it into the Wireguard Android app?
>  
>>>> The app will automatically detect the kernel module and work with it,
>>>> there's no user-facing work to be done.
>  
> Let me see if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that if I
> take my rooted phone make the /kernels folder add the manifest.xml and
> corresponding version kernel, the regular Wireguard app in the Play
> Store will utilize it? I'm trying to make sure I follow.

If you contribute your device's kernel to the repository I linked for
you, then we will build and host a signed kernel module for it. When you
go into the WireGuard app's settings page, you will find an option
titled, at least in English, "Download and install kernel module".
Pressing that will attempt to locate the module previously created by
the WireGuard infrastructure and load it onto your device.

> Will it show this extended UI in Settings?
>  
> Thanks again,
> Jose
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
> On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 03:00:18 PM EDT, Mehdi Sadeghi <mx@43.yt>
> wrote:  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
> Hi Marinez and the list,
>  
> There is a very nice open source app that can share the VPN connection
> of a rooted device with clients on Android. Here is the link:
>  
> https://github.com/Mygod/VPNHotspot/blob/master/README.md
>  
> Cheers,
> Mehdi
>  
> Am 20. Mai 2020 20:40:31 MESZ schrieb Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com>:
>>   Thank you all or the responses.Wow. This seems like a big issue for
>> Android and iOS. How many people like me that are tethering, go about
>> convinced their devices are inheriting the VPN connection? Are there
>> channels to communicate with both Google and Apple about this? @Harsh
>> - I do have a rooted Android device with Wireguard on I can use for
>> tethering. Say I build my kernel module from the list you sent. How
>> do I go about integrating it into the Wireguard Android
>> app?Thanks,JoseOn Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 1:53 PM, Harsh Shandilya
>> <me@msfjarvis.dev> wrote:>  
>>>  
>>> On May 20 2020, at 10:57 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>  
>>>>   Hi Guys,
>>>>    
>>>> Can you tell me if this is working as it should?...
>>>>    
>>>> I have a phone with Wireguard on. I share the connection via
>>>> tethering/hotspot. When I check the IP on the tethered device I don't
>>>> see the same IP as my Wireguard endpoint. What I do see is an IP from
>>>> the phone's mobile network, the one running Wireguard. 
>>>>    
>>>> Is this right? Does this mean that traffic from that tethered device
>>>> not using the Wireguard connection? I'm confused.
>>>>    
>>>>    
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Jose
>>>  
>>>>    
>>>  
>>> At least on Android, tethering data is *not* routed through your
>>> VPN. If
>>> you want that to happen, you will have to use the WireGuard kernel
>>> module which requires a rooted device and a custom kernel. On some
>>> supported devices
>>> (https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/tree/master/kernels)
>>> you can use root access to install the required module automatically
>>> through the app, on your stock kernel.
>>>  
>>> Harsh
>>>>  
>  
> --  
> Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Gerät mit K-9 Mail gesendet.
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
       [not found]       ` <81BFEC8F-2985-447E-9B08-5671682DBD3E@43.yt>
@ 2020-05-20 20:53         ` Jose Marinez
  2020-05-21  7:05           ` Harsh Shandilya
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Jose Marinez @ 2020-05-20 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard, Harsh Shandilya, Mehdi Sadeghi

Thanks Mehdi. I'll take a look.

@Harsh,

Thank you for the clarification. I will reach out to both. I know that on macOS Catalina, Apple implemented new APIs for loading kernel modules now that the core of the OS is read-only. Not sure if they've done the same for iOS. Perhaps they'll announce that next month.

> @Harsh - I do have a rooted Android device with Wireguard on I can use
> for tethering. Say I build my kernel module from the list you sent.
> How do I go about integrating it into the Wireguard Android app?

>>>The app will automatically detect the kernel module and work with it,
>>>there's no user-facing work to be done.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that if I take my rooted phone make the /kernels folder add the manifest.xml and corresponding version kernel, the regular Wireguard app in the Play Store will utilize it? I'm trying to make sure I follow.

Will it show this extended UI in Settings?

Thanks again,
Jose







On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 03:00:18 PM EDT, Mehdi Sadeghi <mx@43.yt> wrote: 





Hi Marinez and the list,

There is a very nice open source app that can share the VPN connection of a rooted device with clients on Android. Here is the link:

https://github.com/Mygod/VPNHotspot/blob/master/README.md

Cheers,
Mehdi

Am 20. Mai 2020 20:40:31 MESZ schrieb Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com>:
>  Thank you all or the responses.Wow. This seems like a big issue for Android and iOS. How many people like me that are tethering, go about convinced their devices are inheriting the VPN connection? Are there channels to communicate with both Google and Apple about this? @Harsh - I do have a rooted Android device with Wireguard on I can use for tethering. Say I build my kernel module from the list you sent. How do I go about integrating it into the Wireguard Android app?Thanks,JoseOn Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 1:53 PM, Harsh Shandilya <me@msfjarvis.dev> wrote:> 
>> 
>> On May 20 2020, at 10:57 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> 
>>>  Hi Guys,
>>>   
>>> Can you tell me if this is working as it should?...
>>>   
>>> I have a phone with Wireguard on. I share the connection via
>>> tethering/hotspot. When I check the IP on the tethered device I don't
>>> see the same IP as my Wireguard endpoint. What I do see is an IP from
>>> the phone's mobile network, the one running Wireguard. 
>>>   
>>> Is this right? Does this mean that traffic from that tethered device
>>> not using the Wireguard connection? I'm confused.
>>>   
>>>   
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jose
>> 
>>>   
>> 
>> At least on Android, tethering data is *not* routed through your VPN. If
>> you want that to happen, you will have to use the WireGuard kernel
>> module which requires a rooted device and a custom kernel. On some
>> supported devices
>> (https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/tree/master/kernels)
>> you can use root access to install the required module automatically
>> through the app, on your stock kernel.
>> 
>> Harsh
>>> 

-- 
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Gerät mit K-9 Mail gesendet.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
  2020-05-20 17:53   ` Harsh Shandilya
@ 2020-05-20 18:40     ` Jose Marinez
       [not found]       ` <81BFEC8F-2985-447E-9B08-5671682DBD3E@43.yt>
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Jose Marinez @ 2020-05-20 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Shandilya; +Cc: WireGuard Mailing List

Thank you all or the responses.

Wow. This seems like a big issue for Android and iOS. How many people like me that are tethering, go about convinced their devices are inheriting the VPN connection? Are there channels to communicate with both Google and Apple about this? 

@Harsh - I do have a rooted Android device with Wireguard on I can use for tethering. Say I build my kernel module from the list you sent. How do I go about integrating it into the Wireguard Android app?

Thanks,
Jose

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 1:53 PM, Harsh Shandilya <me@msfjarvis.dev> wrote:
> 
> 
> On May 20 2020, at 10:57 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 
>> Hi Guys,
>>  
>> Can you tell me if this is working as it should?...
>>  
>> I have a phone with Wireguard on. I share the connection via
>> tethering/hotspot. When I check the IP on the tethered device I don't
>> see the same IP as my Wireguard endpoint. What I do see is an IP from
>> the phone's mobile network, the one running Wireguard. 
>>  
>> Is this right? Does this mean that traffic from that tethered device
>> not using the Wireguard connection? I'm confused.
>>  
>>  
>> Thanks,
>> Jose
> 
>>  
> 
> At least on Android, tethering data is *not* routed through your VPN. If
> you want that to happen, you will have to use the WireGuard kernel
> module which requires a rooted device and a custom kernel. On some
> supported devices
> (https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/tree/master/kernels)
> you can use root access to install the required module automatically
> through the app, on your stock kernel.
> 
> Harsh
>> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
  2020-05-20 17:27 ` Jose Marinez
@ 2020-05-20 17:53   ` Harsh Shandilya
  2020-05-20 18:40     ` Jose Marinez
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Harsh Shandilya @ 2020-05-20 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Marinez; +Cc: WireGuard Mailing List



On May 20 2020, at 10:57 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>  
> Can you tell me if this is working as it should?...
>  
> I have a phone with Wireguard on. I share the connection via
> tethering/hotspot. When I check the IP on the tethered device I don't
> see the same IP as my Wireguard endpoint. What I do see is an IP from
> the phone's mobile network, the one running Wireguard. 
>  
> Is this right? Does this mean that traffic from that tethered device
> not using the Wireguard connection? I'm confused.
>  
>  
> Thanks,
> Jose
>  

At least on Android, tethering data is *not* routed through your VPN. If
you want that to happen, you will have to use the WireGuard kernel
module which requires a rooted device and a custom kernel. On some
supported devices
(https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/tree/master/kernels)
you can use root access to install the required module automatically
through the app, on your stock kernel.

Harsh

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?
       [not found] <1587211445.2302354.1589995651547.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2020-05-20 17:27 ` Jose Marinez
  2020-05-20 17:53   ` Harsh Shandilya
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Jose Marinez @ 2020-05-20 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WireGuard Mailing List

Hi Guys,

Can you tell me if this is working as it should?...

I have a phone with Wireguard on. I share the connection via tethering/hotspot. When I check the IP on the tethered device I don't see the same IP as my Wireguard endpoint. What I do see is an IP from the phone's mobile network, the one running Wireguard. 

Is this right? Does this mean that traffic from that tethered device not using the Wireguard connection? I'm confused.


Thanks,
Jose

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 9+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <1911672182.4980335.1590508735704@mail.yahoo.com>
2020-05-26 16:03 ` Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP? Harsh Shandilya
     [not found] <1587211445.2302354.1589995651547.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
2020-05-20 17:27 ` Jose Marinez
2020-05-20 17:53   ` Harsh Shandilya
2020-05-20 18:40     ` Jose Marinez
     [not found]       ` <81BFEC8F-2985-447E-9B08-5671682DBD3E@43.yt>
2020-05-20 20:53         ` Jose Marinez
2020-05-21  7:05           ` Harsh Shandilya
2020-05-21 14:22             ` Jose Marinez
2020-05-21 14:28               ` Harsh Shandilya
2020-05-21 23:20                 ` Jose Marinez

Development discussion of WireGuard

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/wireguard

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.wireguard


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git