I am not sure, if the removal is a great idea, a removal from releng/13 and stable/13 - possibly yes, but from main? This is still -CURRENT and -CURRENT should be central place for development, even if we have phabricator for review. If the complete backout is happening, please don't forget the manual page. I have spend a lot of time on it, while OpenBSD made a good template. --Gordon On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:48:56AM -0500, Kyle Evans wrote: > Hi, > > You may have recently noticed some chatter around the internet about > FreeBSD's in-kernel WireGuard implementation, and the work we've done > on it in the last week. You may have also noticed additional chatter > afterwards with regards to the original implementation. I'd like to give > some context and information with regards to the current situation, as > well as provide some insight into the future as one of the developers > involved. > > With regard to the original implementation, this will be my only > commentary on the matter. I'm a developer, and I'm passionate > about the work that I do- often to a fault. I've said some things that > I regret; the accusations that Scott Long alluded to in an e-mail on FreeBSD > mailing lists were indeed made by me, and his phrasing of what I > said was much kinder than it could have been. These were mistakes, > and I'm going to own that. However, my personal belief is that neither > Netgate, pfSense, nor the original developer deserved the level of > scorn and criticism that they've received in the past days from both the > press and the community at large. > > In the next day or so, I will be committing a removal of all WireGuard > related bits from our 'main' branch, including the work that I recently > committed. It will be followed up by a removal of the implementation > from stable/13, and we will seek appropriate approval to remove it > from releng/13.0 as well. Please, do not be concerned by any of this; > this is being done with mutual support from all parties. > > Did the original implementation have issues? Yes, it did. Are we > certain that our new version -doesn't- have issues? I believe it > doesn't, but it hasn't been through thorough enough review. We hacked > on this for a week, and we all reviewed each others' work in the > process. The problem is that this work, in particular, is a driver with fairly > severe security implications. Review by "three developers working > and beating on it" is not the higher bar that we should be > holding this to. While I believed I was doing what's right for the > community, it's become clear that what's right for the community is > to take a step back and do this the right way. > > Note that we're not dropping this effort. We will continue iterating > on this out-of-tree, and we will go through the proper review > channels. Folks will be unhappy in the interim because we're removing > it right now, but in the end we will have a better FreeBSD because of > it. There will be a kernel module available in ports at some point, > but not before it's ready. > > Moving forward, myself, members of Netgate, and members of the larger > community *are* working together on strictly technical details. I urge > anyone with an interest in reviewing the driver to also get in touch with me. > Please, let's move forward as a community on this. > > Thank you, > > Kyle Evans > _______________________________________________ > freebsd-arch@freebsd.org mailing list > https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arch > To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-arch-unsubscribe@freebsd.org" --