Development discussion of WireGuard
* Better Output
@ 2022-04-17  8:22 Hendrik Friedel
From: Hendrik Friedel @ 2022-04-17  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello,

when using wireguard - both Android and Windows - clients, I in the past
often thought that the connection is fine but in fact, I had a wrong
Key.
The Windows-Client showed a green Checkmark under Status. The Android
Client showed the "key" symbol and it showed also the "switch" on the
right hand side (=activ) and blue.
Obviously, the connection was not working, but I would have hoped that
Wireguard would have told me, that the connection was not ok.
In fact, I was only able to determine whether the connection was working
by trying to access some Service (e.g. google) or by observing the
"Received/bytes" counter which remained at 0.

I would suggest an improvement here:
1) If no Server responds on the particular domain/IP, wireguard should
show a message
     Could not connect to [my.domain.com] under IP
[2a00:1234:1234:c700:ba27:ebff:fe3e:2342] or 1.4.4.1.
2) If a wireguard server responds, but the key is not valid it should
show a message
     Connection failed. Host responded, but key was invalid
3) If the connection fails, the Windows Client should show a RED symbol
under status.
4) If the connection fails, the "key" symbol should not be shown under
Android and the toggle-switch should move from right&blue (active) back
to left&grey.

Would that be possible?

Greetings,
Hendrik