Development discussion of WireGuard
From: Tim Schumacher <tim@tschumacher.net>
To: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: wg-quick's Ethernet unplug problem
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:49:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

there is this annoying problem with the way wg-quick sets up the
routing, that when you unplug the Ethernet cable the routing rule (see
ip rule) that checks the fwmark gets lost. So let's say you move to
another location with your laptop and plug in an Ethernet cable again,
it essentially disables your VPN. You're lucky if you have the popular
kill switch in place blocking all your traffic instead of silently
disabling your VPN.

PostUp = iptables -I OUTPUT ! -o %i -m mark ! --mark $(wg show %i
fwmark) -m addrtype ! --dst-type LOCAL -j REJECT
PreDown = iptables -D OUTPUT ! -o %i -m mark ! --mark $(wg show %i
fwmark) -m addrtype ! --dst-type LOCAL -j REJECT

I have no idea why the rule gets lost. It might be the kernel removing
it for whatever reason. But it makes no sense to me because I don't see
how the kernel would make a connection between that rule and the
Ethernet link that goes down. Any ideas on the issue? Is this a known
problem? Are there workarounds?

Greetings,
Tim