zsh-users
* ksh93
@ 2000-03-04 20:59 Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2000-03-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

<URL:http://slashdot.org/> is reporting that ksh93 is available under
a license which looks like it's Open Source(not TM).  Download page is
<URL:http://www.research.att.com/sw/download/>.

Not that I'm suggesting zsh isn't better---the completion that zsh is
clearly better, but having this available ought to make compatibility
easier to ensure.  And tksh looks interesting.  (Also available as
open source is AT&T's GraphViz <URL:http://www.graphviz.org>, which
has nothing at all to do with shells, but it's cool.)

The ast-open package also include tw:

tw is a combination of find and xargs that applies C style expressions
on the stat structure of each file in a directory hierarchy.

      tw

lists the directory hierarchy under the current directory,

      tw chmod go-rwx

changes the mode of all files in the directory hierarchy under the
current directory by calling chmod as few times as the exec arg limit
allows.

* RE: ksh93
@ 2000-03-06 18:46 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-03-06 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Stephens, zsh-users

> Not that I'm suggesting zsh isn't better---the completion that zsh is
> clearly better, but having this available ought to make compatibility
> easier to ensure.

>From ksh93 release:

KSH-93 uses a hierarchal name space for variables. Compound variables can be
defined and variables can be passed by reference. In addition, each variable
can have one or more disciplines associated with it to intercept assignments
and references.

(I just thought about it. Pasing by reference should make real difference in
speed. I believe, completion functions pass large amount of read-only
information around)

KSH-93 can be extended by adding built-in commands at run time. In addition,
KSH-93 can be used as a library that can be embedded into an application to
allow scripting.

(Sometimes I wish ZSH globbing and/or completion library.)

-andrej

Have a nice DOS!
B >>