zsh-users
* change redirection of stopped job
@ 2001-04-05  7:42 Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2001-04-05  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi.

I have a question about job control:
Suppose I have a program running which give me
alot of output. I stop it with C-z.
When I do bg the program starts running in background
again, but I get the output.
Is there a way (like bg sets the &) to specify redirection
of bg-jobs without killing them and reinvoking?

--
CYa,
   Mario <mlang@delysid.org>

lp1 on fire
(One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)

* RE: change redirection of stopped job
@ 2001-04-05  7:47 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2001-04-05  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang, zsh-users

> Hi.
>
> I have a question about job control:
> Suppose I have a program running which give me
> alot of output. I stop it with C-z.
> When I do bg the program starts running in background
> again, but I get the output.
> Is there a way (like bg sets the &) to specify redirection
> of bg-jobs without killing them and reinvoking?

No (without very deep kernel porgramming). Suspended jobs run in separate
process and you have no way to control what this process does.

-andrej

* RE: change redirection of stopped job
@ 2001-04-05 10:10   ` Michal Maru¹ka
From: Michal Maru¹ka @ 2001-04-05 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I have just recalled that there are simple tools
whose job is to redirect logging (upon signal), e.g. FLOG. Maybe this could be used to
accomplish this nice ( and intuitive) shell behaviour.