zsh-users
* howto expand all possible completions?
@ 2006-06-23 23:29 Andy Spiegl
From: Andy Spiegl @ 2006-06-23 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Say:
 condor:~/pic/Nature/space>l ad<TAB>
 files
 adlernebel_infrarotaufnahme.jpg  adlernebel.jpg

So I just press * and the key for expand-word and get this:
 condor:~/pic/Nature/space>qiv adlernebel_infrarotaufnahme.jpg adlernebel.jpg

But not in this case:
 condor:~/pic/Nature/space>qiv n<TAB>
 file
 n1300.gif           n1499.gif           Nebel_NGC_2264.jpg  NGC-1999.jpg

How would I get zsh to add all these 4 files to command line?
Like so:
 condor:~/pic/Nature/space>qiv n1300.gif n1499.gif Nebel_NGC_2264.jpg NGC-1999.jpg
Is there something like expand-completions or similar?

Thanks,
 Andy.

--
 Fotos: francisco.spiegl.de            o      _     _         _
 Infos: peru.spiegl.de       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)         -o)

* Re: howto expand all possible completions?
@ 2006-06-24  3:19 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-06-24  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jun 24,  1:29am, Andy Spiegl wrote:
}
} Is there something like expand-completions or similar?

Do you already have _expand in your completers style?

If so, my only other suggestion would be to try setopt nocaseglob.  I
suspect that you have a lower-case to upper-case matcher-list style
that is producing the mixed-case completions in the second example.

* Re: howto expand all possible completions?
@ 2006-06-24 20:57   ` Andy Spiegl
From: Andy Spiegl @ 2006-06-24 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi Bart,

> } Is there something like expand-completions or similar?
>
> Do you already have _expand in your completers style?
No, thanks for the hint!
Hm, the description of the function sounds great but I don't understand how
it's supposed to work.  I've got TAB bound to complete-word and now use:
 zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _expand_dots _complete _match _correct _7slash
but the behavior is still the same: when I press TAB I get to see all the
possible completions but they don't get written to the command line.
Do I need any other style definitions?

> If so, my only other suggestion would be to try setopt nocaseglob.  I
> suspect that you have a lower-case to upper-case matcher-list style
> that is producing the mixed-case completions in the second example.
Correct.  nocaseglob would help in this example of mine but there are many
different cases where the completer shows all kinds of different types of
possible completions, e.g. the "partial match" style:
 zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list 'm:{A-Zöäüa-zÖÄÜ}={a-zÖÄÜA-Zöäü} m:[-_]=[-_] r:|[-./_]=** r:|=*' '+l:|=*'
which gives:

 condor:~/pic/Nature>qiv ham<TAB>
 - files -
 A-Caribbean-reef-shark-swims-over-a-coral-reef-in-the-Bahamas.jpg  cham1024.jpg  cyclonegraham.jpg

I tried calling the _expand function manually (via Alt-x) but that just
hogged the CPU so that I had to kill zsh. :-(

Thanks,
 Andy.

--
 Isn't making a smoking section in a restaurant
 like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?  (George Carlin, US comedian)

* Re: howto expand all possible completions?
@ 2006-06-25  3:04     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-06-25  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jun 24, 10:57pm, Andy Spiegl wrote:
} Subject: Re: howto expand all possible completions?
}
} > } Is there something like expand-completions or similar?
} >
} > Do you already have _expand in your completers style?
} No, thanks for the hint!

Actually I misspoke.  I was conflating the all-expansions tag of the
_expand completer with the _all_matches completer.  The latter is what
you actually want to use.

} I tried calling the _expand function manually (via Alt-x) but that just
} hogged the CPU so that I had to kill zsh. :-(

That's odd.

* Re: howto expand all possible completions?
@ 2006-06-25 19:17       ` Andy Spiegl
From: Andy Spiegl @ 2006-06-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> Actually I misspoke.  I was conflating the all-expansions tag of the
> _expand completer with the _all_matches completer.  The latter is what
> you actually want to use.
Great, that's it!  Thanks a lot!

> } I tried calling the _expand function manually (via Alt-x) but that just
> } hogged the CPU so that I had to kill zsh. :-(
>
> That's odd.
Lately I've got more strange things happening - including crashes.
Today I found a reproducible one:

In the following case zsh segfaults after hitting TAB 3 times:
First TAB:
 condor:~/pic/Nature>qiv a<TAB>
 - files -
 abcdefghi.gif  Affe.Kissen.png  Alligator_in_geplatzter_Python.jpg  ape.gif  ape.jpg

The second TAB starts menu-completion and the third TAB crashes zsh:
condor:~/pic/Nature>qiv a[1]    29107 segmentation fault  zsh

(If I delete one of these files, it does not crash)

How would I best go about reporting this bug?
It doesn't crash when I press C-x ? instead of TAB.

Chau,
 Andy.

--
 When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping.
 Men invade another country.  --- Elayne Boosler

* Re: howto expand all possible completions?
@ 2006-06-25 19:37         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-06-25 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jun 25,  9:17pm, Andy Spiegl wrote:
}
} How would I best go about reporting this bug?

You just did. :-)  Seriously, though, it's best if you can determine
an exact series of steps to reproduce it, starting from "zsh -f".
(Even if one of the steps is e.g. to run "compinit").  Then send that
to zsh-workers.