zsh-users
* scrollable list of completions
@ 2006-08-19 10:06 Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2006-08-19 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

By defaut, if I type a[TAB], I get:

zsh: do you wish to see all 140 possibilities (47 lines)?

I can choose 'y', but all the completions are output, even if they
don't fit on the screen. I'd like to have a scrollable list of
completions. I can use:

zstyle ':completion:*' list-prompt ''

for that, but then, I no longer get the above question. How can I
have both?

TIA,

* Re: scrollable list of completions
@ 2006-08-19 18:13 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-08-19 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Aug 19, 12:06pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
}
} How can I have both?

As far as I can tell, you can't.  The test for whether to print that
prompt or invoke scrolling is deep in the C code after the shell
functions have given up control.  You can hook in at the comppostfuncs
to ask the question yourself, but at that point it appears to be too
late to prevent the list from being printed anyway.