zsh-users
* laptop tty beeps regardless of no_beep
@ 2006-08-21 12:38 Francisco Borges
From: Francisco Borges @ 2006-08-21 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User

Hello,

I have a dell laptop, running Kubuntu and the zsh4.3.2, if I log on a
tty (getty BTW), zsh will ignore the no_beep option and... beep away.

I managed to solve the problem by using
% setterm -blength 0

Shouldn't no_beep have already taken care of it?

Cheers,
--
Francisco Borges

* Re: laptop tty beeps regardless of no_beep
@ 2006-08-21 16:32 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-08-21 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User

On Aug 21,  2:38pm, Francisco Borges wrote:
}
} I have a dell laptop, running Kubuntu and the zsh4.3.2, if I log on a
} tty (getty BTW), zsh will ignore the no_beep option and... beep away.

no_beep only stops zsh itself from emitting a BEL (ctrl-g) character at
certain times such as on failed completion.  It doesn't really turn off
the terminal bell.

Are you saying that failed completions etc. are beeping at you even when
you setopt nobeep?

* Re: laptop tty beeps - and /bin/dash?
@ 2006-08-23 12:40   ` Francisco Borges
From: Francisco Borges @ 2006-08-23 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User

» On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:32AM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Aug 21,  2:38pm, Francisco Borges wrote:
> }
> } I have a dell laptop, running Kubuntu and the zsh4.3.2, if I log on a
> } tty (getty BTW), zsh will ignore the no_beep option and... beep away.
>
> no_beep only stops zsh itself from emitting a BEL (ctrl-g) character at
> certain times such as on failed completion.  It doesn't really turn off
> the terminal bell.
>
> Are you saying that failed completions etc. are beeping at you even when
> you setopt nobeep?

Hello,

(Sorry for the delayed reply.)

The beep in my computer *IS* behaving strangely, but it might not be
zsh's fault.

What I know for sure is that, the tty beep behavior was completely
different from the tty behavior I get at the desktop I use at work (same
zsh version, same zshenv|zshrc files).

Two observations:

1. I *used* to get a beep, when hitting ^G with zsh with "setopt
   no_beep" (but without using setterm). (Is that supposed to happen?)

2. if I start the shell with setopt no_beep, I sometimes can't get it to
   beep again by changing the option (again, without ever touching
   setterm).

Just now I remembered that I changed /bin/sh from /bin/bash to /bin/dash
("Debian Almquist Shell"). Could this influence how the beep works?
That was a difference between my work machine and my own laptop.
Tonight I'll test it.

BTW, does anyone has remarks about using /bin/dash as the /bin/sh clone?
I use it because it does make booting faster.

One thing I discovered is that, ksh-like, dash does set or increment
SHLVL.

Cheers,
--
Francisco Borges

BTW... Yesterday I was dealing with the newfound fact that Ubuntu
corrupts the BIOS of Dell laptops. How sweet.

* Re: laptop tty beeps - and /bin/dash?
@ 2006-08-23 16:50     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-08-23 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User

On Aug 23,  2:40pm, Francisco Borges wrote:
}
} Two observations:
}
} 1. I *used* to get a beep, when hitting ^G with zsh with "setopt
}    no_beep" (but without using setterm). (Is that supposed to happen?)

No, that's not supposed to happen, unless you've rebound ^G to
self-insert or something.

} 2. if I start the shell with setopt no_beep, I sometimes can't get it to
}    beep again by changing the option (again, without ever touching
}    setterm).

That's also very odd.  As I said before, the only thing nobeep does is
control whether zsh outputs a ctrl-G character at certain times.  The
interpretation of that character is up to the terminal emulator and the
tty settings.

} Just now I remembered that I changed /bin/sh from /bin/bash to /bin/dash
} ("Debian Almquist Shell"). Could this influence how the beep works?

Unknown.  Check whatever the equivalent of /etc/profile is.

I haven't been able to get a system bell to ring on my newish PC since
the day I got it.  I don't know if the manufacturer failed to connect
something, or if gdm/Gnome is turning it off somehow ... and it hasn't
mattered enough to me to open the case to find out ...

Zsh behaves properly, though, as is obvious from the blinking if I turn
on the visible bell in the terminal emulator.