zsh-users
* What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?
@ 2008-10-21 16:18 Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2008-10-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZSH Users

What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?  I really
don't care to be notified either way, but there doesn't seem to be
such an option.  Anyway, if I have to be notified, why would I want it
intermixed with a command's output?  I'm not being sarcastic, I just
want to know how the setting was chosen so that I may understand it
better.

Thanks.

* Re: What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?
@ 2008-10-21 19:19 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2008-10-21 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZSH Users

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:18:04 +0200
"Nikolai Weibull" <now@bitwi.se> wrote:
> What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?

"It's always been that way."

I think it's probably because there's no separate option for
notification when at the command line as opposed to when running a
command, so if you turn off NOTIFY you don't get the message until you
hit return in any case --- even if all that would happen is that the
command line would be redrawn, which is a much more benign effect than
writing over the programme's output.  It ought to be straightforward to
provide ZLE_NOTIFY, I would think.

--
Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>

* Re: What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?
@ 2008-10-22  1:43   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-10-22  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZSH Users

On Oct 21,  8:19pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?
}
} On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:18:04 +0200
} "Nikolai Weibull" <now@bitwi.se> wrote:
} > What is the reasoning behind having NOTIFY be on by default?
}
} "It's always been that way."

Where in this case "always" frequently means "in the original BSD csh
circa late 1980s" from whence came most of zsh's job control behavior.